DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old September 26th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Small.."DIFFUSED"...Dimmable DSLR light

What is a small, LED dimmable that is all or most of these things? ** indicates must have

** Attractive small unit with great diffusion if needed...so that in close quarters with clean high ISO capable cameras where the LED can be dimmed considerably and diffused to where "most" people at parties and receptions, etc don't mind that they are looking at it. There's always a few, but I've had great success on my full sized rigs over the years with a conventional lamped mini Frezzi dimmed down. And recently picked up the nice black soft box for it....and blacked out all the white "look at me" Frezzi logos (but form factor and battery setup not practical here).

** Color temp changable for outdoor fill or indoor.

** Hopefully small, elegant or cool looking and powered with capable on-board battery.

** Robust. Well designed physically and "BRIGHT" enough on full lumens to help out in dark areas 20-30' away. Could the 6400 ISO of a new GH3 or similarly capable low light performance camera with a 2.8 lens still allow the contrast detection AF to function OK? Assuming at least some other ambient in the room.

Anything else that would contribute to it looking good on board and functioning well?

Are there a number of brands or models that might fit the bill under $400-500? More than that?? Hope not.
Ron Fabienke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Small.."DIFFUSED"...Dimmable DSLR light

I have owned several small inexpensive LED camera lights and the main weakness was the camera mounts. Most were plastic and broke easily.

The best I have had at a great price is the Z96 LED camera light. You can get it for $70 delivered on ebay. The light is around 5500k with magnetic filters to either diffuse it or bring it to around 3200k.

The camera mount can easily be replaced since it screws into the light itself with a standard single point (1/4" I think).

The camera also uses Sony professional style F series batteries. You can buy generics for $10-$25 depending on how big / how many hours you want. The smallest battery will power the light for well over an hour I am sure. The largest battery (F970 if I remember right) will last many hours but is pretty heavy. The light will also take AA batteries.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

here's a recent video we did talking about the Z96, you can see different examples of it in use

Iker Riera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Z96 is a good one. We have it in stock.
HDV-Z96 LED Photo/Video Light Kit | L.A. Color Online

We also have the new Z-Flash which is same as Z96 but comes with the flash sync cable for photography flash use.
Z-Flash 96-LED for DSLR Video and Flash Light | L.A. Color Online
Old September 28th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #5
Regular Crew

See this post:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-m...ml#post1754512

Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #6
Inner Circle

We have a new budgeted LED light.

The 312LED is a flexbile bi-color LED light with variable color temperature adjustable from 3200K to 5600K.
VL312LED High Power Bi-Color LED Dimmable Video Light Kit | L.A. Color Online

This light is much better than the CN160 light before with better built quality, flexibility and output quality.
Old September 28th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I have one of those. Got it somewhere else BUT it works like a champ. That has become my main on camera light and I use the 2 CN160s I have off camera with the aid of remotes. Great set up and the 312 is a nice light for indoors or out. The only thing I did to it is put a piece of Tough Spun over the diffuser lense to spften it up a bit more. PLUS not only can I use the Sony batteriess (it came with a decent 2 battery charger) but I use it with a Bescor NiMH 50W battery that's so small I hook it to my tripod or belt if I'm running N gunning. The light also comes with a cable that has a cigarette lighter plug. It's a big light but liteweight and well built.
Old September 29th, 2012, 07:55 AM   #8
Major Player

I bought a couple of Z-96 lights from Taky a while back and they have been great.
Old September 29th, 2012, 08:55 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
I have one of those. Got it somewhere else BUT it works like a champ. That has become my main on camera light and I use the 2 CN160s I have off camera with the aid of remotes. Great set up and the 312 is a nice light for indoors or out. The only thing I did to it is put a piece of Tough Spun over the diffuser lense to spften it up a bit more. PLUS not only can I use the Sony batteriess (it came with a decent 2 battery charger) but I use it with a Bescor NiMH 50W battery that's so small I hook it to my tripod or belt if I'm running N gunning. The light also comes with a cable that has a cigarette lighter plug. It's a big light but liteweight and well built.
Don, do you use these remotes
6V DC REMOTE CONTROL RELAY SWITCH 6VDC OUTPUT with 2 remote control RS60 | eBay

I have the original ReceptionLight remote controls, which are the same remote controls, but were wired to work with XLR inputs.
They work great but I have to have my power source sitting between my lights. So I can't use the onboard power wirelessly, but have to have my power in a bag at the base of a lightstand.

It works great, as I can switch out the batteries easily if needed without taking down the lights. But I would rather have a light that powers on/off wirelessly using it's onboard power and no cables.

If you are using these remotes, did you wire the lights yourself?
Old September 29th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I bought one of these a few months back. I've used it a lot more than I thought I would. It works quite well.

There is a brighter version that is about $100 more but still in your budget range.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/753019-REG/Ikan_ILED144_iLED_144_On_Camera_Bi_Color.html
Old September 29th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Michael,
Yep, thems the ones. I still have the wiring diagram so if you need it shoot me an email.
Old September 29th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #12
Major Player

That Ikan iLed 144 on the brightness specs show it at 2354 lux but at 50 centimetres, When measured at the normal ( if there is any norman grading distance) of 100 centimetres or 1 meter or 3 feet. that whopping 2354 luxes goes to a paltry 588 luxes. At 2 metres or 6 feet away that is a lowly 147 luxes and at 4 metres or roughly 12 feet ( what probably most of the average shooting will be done at, unless one shoots lizards in a terrarium) it becomes ....drum roll please....38 very bright and blinding luxes, equivalent to my bedroom night light.
Unless they got a typo error on the lux figures.
A led with 144 emitters should be much more brighter than a 30 watt( equivalent) light bulb.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #13
Major Player

I have a 312ASZ and think it's great. I got a Strobies 16" collapsible softbox, cut out the circular fabric where the flash goes and then stick it on the light with tension. Works great.

However, now I'm using a dual 209AS setup with both the Strobies 24" and 16" softbox. They stack so it's a little more light, plus I can separate them when need be for two independent lights. If you don't mind stacking them, I'd recommend these.

2 LED 209AS Video Light KITS Camcorder, DSLR, Camera Lighting, 312 144 209 160 | eBay
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 05:46 AM   #14
Major Player

i recently bought this:

LUMAHAWK LD144AS ON-CAM LED LIGHT/DIMMER LMX-LD144AS

the adjustable temperature is a huge bonus! good battery life also.
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 07:51 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Sherman View Post
I have a 312ASZ and think it's great. I got a Strobies 16" collapsible softbox, cut out the circular fabric where the flash goes and then stick it on the light with tension. Works great.

However, now I'm using a dual 209AS setup with both the Strobies 24" and 16" softbox. They stack so it's a little more light, plus I can separate them when need be for two independent lights. If you don't mind stacking them, I'd recommend these.

2 LED 209AS Video Light KITS Camcorder, DSLR, Camera Lighting, 312 144 209 160 | eBay
Brett do you use a speedring to connect the softbox to the light?

Or do you simply attach it to the light by itself.
I gather you connect the softbox to the light itself, because it looks to be identical to the Coollights softbox. If it is the same softbox then I now know where Coollights gets their softbox design from. Not to mention it's cheaper as well. BTW it is a great design.

CL-SPSB256 LED 256 Speed Softbox Kit - Cool Lights USA

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management