DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   It's my bag baby! (it's a sandbag question) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/512363-its-my-bag-baby-its-sandbag-question.html)

Josh Bass November 28th, 2012 12:05 AM

It's my bag baby! (it's a sandbag question)

So what do we think about sandbags--which brands do we like and why?

I got two refillable ones awhile back. They have a zipper on each side, and came with some thick plastic/ziploc type bags (that, btw, no one seems to know how to find to replace) that you're supposed to put the sand in. These bags have occasionally split (surprise, along the hard side seam) and so that eventually translates to sand leaks.

So I've thought about some new ones but the choices are overwhelming. Empty ones that you fill or prefilled?

Prefilled seem simpler but are ungodly expensive 'cause of weight/shipping. Empty/fillable ones have the issue of leakage.

There's these "new" designs with double zippers that are supposed to be more leak proof but I don't see how. . .if the sand is loose inside the canvas it will find its way out eventually, it would seem.

Thanks for your help.

James Kuhn November 28th, 2012 07:38 PM

Re: It's my bag baby! (it's a sandbag question)

I've seen a neat idea when using "sand-bags". Instead of 'sand', bring two 1-ltr plastic, soda bottles with you to a location and fill the bottles with H2O and place them into each side of the 'sand-bag'. It's much easier to carry empty water bottles around rather then 10# of sand. Just a thought.

J.

Garrett Low November 28th, 2012 11:39 PM

Lindcraft makes some good quality sand bags. I generally get them from my local grip supply shop. We've got two out here that stock just about everything you'd need.

I found the refillable type to never hold up over time.

Might just be me being paranoid but I get really nervous whenever water gets close to any electrical sources.

Oh, and remember the general rule that you will always be one c-stand short and at least two sand bags short, no matter how many your bring to the set.

David Aronson November 29th, 2012 09:34 AM

I've been a fan of digital juice sand and shotbags. My only complaint is that they don't have a long strap on the bottom for carrying and hanging

Josh Bass November 29th, 2012 02:31 PM

Thanks.

yeah, the water bottle thing is intriguing but sound impractical in the real world for several reasons.

So we don't like the fillable sandbags vs prefilled/sealed ones? Seems like it'd be worse if a sealed one sprung a leak cause then you have to have it repaired vs just changing out the bags inside, no?

I'm sorry, I should've mentioned at the outset that I will not be using this stuff on a daily or even weekly basis most likely. . .just one of those things I need to own for occasional use. So it will not be getting daily abuse.

Bob Hart November 30th, 2012 02:02 AM

Light aircraft tyres and wheelbarrow tyres filled with concrete with a carpet scrap in centre to prevent gouging and scratching can work adequately on some stands. Slip unerected C-stands through them sideways then tilt up. Otherwise lay them like sandbags. Not as perfect as shotbags and a bulky carry for transporting. Convenience of being able to be rolled around or tipped end-for-end. Not as stable for same reason unless laced together.

I once used 5L engine oil containers filled with iron-ore pellets as convenient carry-around ballast for a home-made crane.

Josh Bass November 30th, 2012 02:46 AM

I appreciate the inventive and unconventional approaches to the issue, but in this thread I'm more looking for folks thoughts on traditional sandbags in terms of brand, fillable vs prefilled/sealed, that kind of thing.

Chris Medico November 30th, 2012 07:11 AM

I have a bunch of the Digital Juice sandbags. They have held up fine for several years now. They have even shrugged off the abuse of leaving them on my back porch for way too long. The extended sunbathing bleached them on top but they seem otherwise unaffected.

They hold on to sand quite well. I've not had any issues with leaks. They have double zippers to help control that issue. I'm quite happy with them and the were budget friendly. Six cost about $100 with you providing the ballast material.

Josh Bass November 30th, 2012 08:00 PM

Do you just dump the sand right in the pockets with those? Inside bags? Whats your strategy?

Chris Medico November 30th, 2012 11:08 PM

I put the sand directly into the bags. I have them loaded up with play sand. No problems with sand leaking out with the double zipper.

Josh Bass November 30th, 2012 11:13 PM

Even if the bag is upside down (i.e zipper side down)? Those must be some zippers.

Chris Medico December 1st, 2012 06:37 AM

I roll them around in the back of the truck and use them for all kinds of things including toys for kids. I've not noticed sand coming out of them.

David Aronson December 2nd, 2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Medico (Post 1765742)
I have a bunch of the Digital Juice sandbags. They have held up fine for several years now. They have even shrugged off the abuse of leaving them on my back porch for way too long. The extended sunbathing bleached them on top but they seem otherwise unaffected.

They hold on to sand quite well. I've not had any issues with leaks. They have double zippers to help control that issue. I'm quite happy with them and the were budget friendly. Six cost about $100 with you providing the ballast material.

You can get them for $10 a pop on sale.

Chris Medico December 2nd, 2012 09:33 PM

Be sure to post it up when you see them on sale again.