DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   FL-D filters. Any users? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/513394-fl-d-filters-any-users.html)

Adrian Frearson January 11th, 2013 07:11 AM

FL-D filters. Any users?

I just recently got a cheap version of one of these filters, which I had no experience with before. They basically are supposed to correct the green cast, which can plague mixed florescent and daylight shots. Seems to work well once balanced correctly.
Just curious if anybody here is using these, as I may look at getting a better quality version?

Brian Drysdale January 11th, 2013 07:51 AM

Re: FL-D filters. Any users?

To be honest, I've never had a green issue with florescent lights when shooting video. The new digital cinema cameras are more green sensitive, but it's a real problem when shooting film. Video cameras are more green blind and anything is sorted with a white balance.

Adrian Frearson January 14th, 2013 03:26 AM

Well the issue that I had seen, was more specifically with the GH1/2 shooting a mixture of daylight with daylight florescent bulbs. I casually shot some footage the other day, but it seemed to be an improvement. The filters have a strong pink cast and probably cut down light quite a bit, but once white balanced, seem to cure the green cast that I had seen. I'll shoot some more tests later in the week and see if I can come to any conclusion.

Brian Drysdale January 14th, 2013 03:54 AM

The stills cameras could be more sensitive to green than the traditional video cameras. Have you tried CC magenta filters? They come in a range of strengths and I've used them when shooting film in this type of mixed lighting.

Adrian Frearson January 16th, 2013 07:42 AM

I haven't tried the CC Magenta filters, though I just had a look at Lee filters website and seems they cover similar ground. I had used an 81b to tackle some mixed lighting before and it worked really well on skin and helped in matching a GH2 with 5DMKIII. I think I will play a little more with this one and see what, if any image loss I'm getting.

Adrian Frearson January 25th, 2013 03:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just thought I'd update this for anybody who's interested. I shot this very rushed test on a GH1, which doesn't seem to suffer from the green cast problem as much as the GH2, in my experience. While the difference is very slight, I would say that the FL-D filter has helped to capture the colours more faithfully in this example. The blue on the Ektachrome box is quite a way off, in the shot without filter.

This was shot with a bare 5500k Fluo bulb and dull window light as the light sources. I did a quick custom WB on the foreground white in both cases. I'll probably shoot a few more tests before I'm really convinced, but it seems to me worth while having in the kit bag.

Edit to add, first shot on the left, is with FL-D filter