DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Newbie question comparing zylight is3 and 1x1 light panels (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/513470-newbie-question-comparing-zylight-is3-1x1-light-panels.html)

Bryan Coleman January 13th, 2013 09:33 PM

Newbie question comparing zylight is3 and 1x1 light panels

I hope this isn't a completely off the wall question, I spend more time with video and audio not much in lighting:

I would like to replace the lighting kit I have with some really good quality led lighting my lighting kit contains
3 tota lights
2 650 arri lights
1 lightpanels LP-Micro

I shoot a lot of green screen...and I know led's aren't going to give me much of a wash on a 12' green screen. I was more interested in replacing my key, fill and hair light. I'm looking at zylight is3 versus a 1x1 light panel.

The reason I would like to replace what I have is so I can become lighter, energy efficient, cooler...and my 2 ari's are pretty old and beat up. I read the Ultimate light kit thread...so I have been trying to research. Not sure why you can't compare is3 to a 1x1.

Thanks for any feedback.

Charles Papert January 14th, 2013 03:08 AM

Re: Newbie question comparing zylight is3 and 1x1 light panels

I own an IS3, and I have 1x1's on most shoots in the rental package.

1x1 advantages:
- powerable by 12v source
- thinner, lighter
- spot/flood model offers focusing

IS3 advantages:
- wider range of color temperatures, compared to the Bicolor 1x1 (none represented by the Bi-focus model)
- green/magenta shift control
- RGB color generation: can reproduce a massive range of colors
- programmable presets for specific settings, recallable via single button press
- digital readout of all functions
- wireless remote available that controls all functions and up to 11 Zylights, including Z90 model

Essentially, the IS3 is a much more flexible unit that never requires gelling and has many bells and whistles. Whether these are necessary for your application is up to you. I have been quite pleased with the unit (I have the optional Chimera for it, which I recommend). I will say that I no longer use it as a key light as it has the typical struggle with accurate color rendition that is typical of LED units. It's a subjective issue, some have no problems with it but I require skin tones to be more accurate.

James Kuhn January 14th, 2013 04:17 PM

I have experience with LitePanels only. I purchased them after having the opportunity to use the very same lighting kit during a video workshop I attended during the summer of '2012. I saw the excellent results the sunlight balanced LEDs during the workshop and I loved how easy it was to use lighting powered by 12v batteries. Finally, I love how cool LEDs run. Coming from a 'stills photog' background, not having to use "hot" lights during a shoot is such a pleasure. No waiting for light fixtures to cool-down and no cranky, melting talent/clients. Of course, any LED system will be cooler on the talent.

Regards,

J.

Bryan Coleman January 15th, 2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert (Post 1773083)
I own an IS3, and I have 1x1's on most shoots in the rental package.

1x1 advantages:
- powerable by 12v source
- thinner, lighter
- spot/flood model offers focusing

IS3 advantages:
- wider range of color temperatures, compared to the Bicolor 1x1 (none represented by the Bi-focus model)
- green/magenta shift control
- RGB color generation: can reproduce a massive range of colors
- programmable presets for specific settings, recallable via single button press
- digital readout of all functions
- wireless remote available that controls all functions and up to 11 Zylights, including Z90 model

Essentially, the IS3 is a much more flexible unit that never requires gelling and has many bells and whistles. Whether these are necessary for your application is up to you. I have been quite pleased with the unit (I have the optional Chimera for it, which I recommend). I will say that I no longer use it as a key light as it has the typical struggle with accurate color rendition that is typical of LED units. It's a subjective issue, some have no problems with it but I require skin tones to be more accurate.

Can you tell me how far the light throws between the two?