DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Feedback on a Lightning kit option (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/513566-feedback-lightning-kit-option.html)

Robert Lee January 17th, 2013 11:13 AM

Feedback on a Lightning kit option

Hi everyone:

A friend asked my opinion if the following kit would be suitable as a low cost option of
having a ready to go light kit set for remote shoots, and something to build on.

He knows "You get what you paid for", but if he's using it for interviews, local concerts,
and other small scale project it looks fine.I mentioned, If he's going to do something in a bigger scale, he'll
need to consider other options.

Since his budget is minimal, it looked fine to me. but thought I get everyone's thought on it.

Thanks!

Robert

Factory Direct Prices - Square Perfect SP3500 Complete Portrait Studio Kit w/Flashes-Softboxes & More!

Paul R Johnson January 17th, 2013 01:46 PM

Re: Feedback on a Lightning kit option

Er.... isn't that photographer kit? Flash isn't much use for video?

Gary Nattrass January 18th, 2013 02:34 AM

Cue threads asking if I can use this with my DSLR to do video if I set the shutter and flash to the same rate? ;0)

Garrett Low January 18th, 2013 10:08 AM

Could use it for stop motion animation.

Robert Lee January 18th, 2013 12:25 PM

Thanks guys, yep, the way the description is written "it's meant for both photographers and videographers", but I can see how my buddy wants to use it for both.

Shaun Roemich January 18th, 2013 11:38 PM

Did I miss something? I didn't see anything that would suggest there is any use for videographers. Modeling lights are solely so you can see where shadows will fall when the flash is tripped.

Robert Lee January 22nd, 2013 10:06 AM

Hi Shaun:

My error, I'm getting my information jumbled up. The description described it as professional lighting for photographers. My friend was saying how he can see it being perfect for both videographer and photographer. I think he said that when I mentioned I used the Lowel, rifa softbox for interview shoots, and was thinking of how he could use the softbox in the kit like the Lowel.

I'll try to highlight everyone's points here to him again, so at least he'll know what to expect..

Thanks everyone.

Shaun Roemich January 22nd, 2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Lee (Post 1774624)
I think he said that when I mentioned I used the Lowel, rifa softbox for interview shoots, and was thinking of how he could use the softbox in the kit like the Lowel.

YIKES! I hope he doesn't mean using a strobe-intended softbox for hotlights!

Most strobe (flash) softboxes can't handle the heat a tungsten light puts out for more than a couple of minutes as most of the cheaper ones are made with a high "plastic/rubber" component, especially on the inside and the screens are often QUITE flammable when exposed to heat for any length of time, especially repeatedly.

Les Wilson January 22nd, 2013 01:11 PM

Has anyone noticed the title of this thread is about a "Lightning" kit not "Lighting" Kit in which case a strobe would in fact be needed? LOL

[We now return to our normally scheduled discussion]

Shaun Roemich January 22nd, 2013 03:33 PM

I WAS going to say something about a Potential Difference of opinion on lighting/lightning...

Lightning

"Williams says a typical lightning bolt bridges a potential difference (voltage) of several hundred million volts."

Robert Lee January 23rd, 2013 05:11 PM

Hi Shaun:
Far as I know, just the softboxes for simple lighting with interview shoots. The strobe idea hadn't enter in his mind... maybe I'll keep it that way. ;-)

Les & Shaun: Hahaha Did not see that, thanks. And going further off topic, you may find this interesting. My brother was runner up in 1st grade spelling bee challenge because he spelled lightning as lighting.... He must have used that error as motivation for the next 2 yrs, he claimed the spelling bee champ title. :)

As Les would say, (we now return to our regularly schedule posting already in progress)

Robert

Les Wilson January 24th, 2013 08:18 AM

@Robert: Take note what Shaun said. You need a softbox light built for video use that will withstand the heat generated by lights that are always on. The link you sent is for still photography that strobes (flashes). Photo lights may have low wattage lights called modelling lights that just let you see shadows. They won't be what you need for making an exposure. Look at Lowel kits for a solid reliable video light.

One of my favorite articles on this topic:
Light Kit