DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Flo 2x55w Kino knock-offs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/514119-flo-2x55w-kino-knock-offs.html)

Brian Brown February 6th, 2013 12:24 PM

Flo 2x55w Kino knock-offs

Hi Gang:

I'm looking at various Kino Flo knock-offs, the 2x 55w daylight-balanced fixtures, and wondered if anyone had experiences with any. Coollights, Flolight, and DigitalJuice have similar fixtures. eBay has plenty of knock-offs, too.

I'm shooting mostly tight headshot interviews in various places, and am looking to finally get out of tungsten. I have a couple of Lowel Omnis and an old Rifa66. While the quality of light is great from them, the heat and the tungsten balance creates challenges for interviews in mixed-lighting situations. A lot of my interviews need a 15 minute setup in various living rooms and tight spaces. The umbrellas on the Omnis and the big softbox often touch ceilings, cheat into the shot, etc. and are too easy to kick over in tight quarters.

I'm going to hold off on LEDs for another generation or two. The flos seem to be a good bang-for-buck right now. Eventually I'll migrate to a 1x1 LED setup, I think.

Here's several examples of what I'm doing:
Ski Hidden Valley Estes Park's Videos | Facebook

Thanks a bunch!

Shaun Roemich February 6th, 2013 12:50 PM

Re: Flo 2x55w Kino knock-offs

I've been renting THESE:

DVeStore - Search Results for "stellar"

lately from my local rental house, who purchased them from Guy Cochrane at DVEStore, a DVInfo.net sponsor, and have been suitably impressed in the OVERALL quality, especially at the price.

The only caveat is that the yoke material is a little soft and if you aren't careful, the threads for the post mount set screw can strip out. Again, these were rental items and film students are PARTICULARLY hard on gear so in an ownership scenario, they should hold up acceptably at the price...

PS. I moved away from RIFA 55 and Lowel pro Lights for the same reasons you list...

Brian Brown February 6th, 2013 09:59 PM

Thanks, Shaun, I'll check those out!

All the best,
Brian

Oren Arieli February 6th, 2013 10:04 PM

I'm a big fan of the Alzo Pan-L-Lites. Other than being a bit bulky, they're my go-to light for single-person interviews. I can bring them in real close to get a soft key/fill without worrying about melting the talent. I've posted a video review here:

Brian Brown February 6th, 2013 10:31 PM

Wow, what a fantastic video review, Oren. Thanks much for the link!

All the best,
Brian

Shaun Roemich February 6th, 2013 11:40 PM

Oren: how do you find the evenness of the Alzo? The distance between the tube sets LOOKS like it would create a bit of a "hole" in the light output. Do you see that in practice on a solid background or when used vertically?

PS. I DO like the idea of being able to move the yoke mount between the long and short sides...

Mark Bolding February 7th, 2013 06:12 AM

I have been very happy with what I call my kino faux's from Cool Lights. I have 2 four bulb lights, one with dimmer and 1 two bulb fixture with dimmer. I usually put light grid cloth on them when I want a nice soft source for talent.

mb

Jase Tanner February 7th, 2013 10:59 AM

Oren, Looks like a good find. Some interesting looking lights. Their HID caught my attention which they claim use identical technology to HMI. I thought I saw, but now I can't find it again, that they had a CRI of 85. If so, that wouldn't be identical. Anyway, do you have any of their HIDs or any other product? Would like to know what you think.

Thanks

Jase Tanner February 7th, 2013 01:35 PM

I emailed them.

"The CRI of our HID HMI is about 87."

Brian Brown February 7th, 2013 05:43 PM

Thanks, all!

Based largely on Oren's video review, and some nice things I read about Alzo on other forums, I ordered two of their 2-light Pan-L-LITEs today. And looks like they've already shipped! Seems like a good bang-for-buck, and perfect for the static indoor headshot interviews that comprise about 95% of what I shoot.

Thanks again for the input,
Brian

Chanon Wangtrirat February 10th, 2013 07:19 PM

I've experienced some Flouro tubes. Osram various StudioLine and Dulux L ,GE Cinema55,And almost ordinary Fluorescent , TL950 Graphica from Philips for made DIY Kino Flo Fixture.

However I got the result that StudioLine from Osram has very good amount of Light and Skintone both 5600 and 3200 even specs said it's CRI=86.

If you planned to use with nature daylight. It's some what get more Magenta when use with Canon 60D in my case. but even it's get hot no green tint appear. Skintone still there. What a great bulb! maybe plus green gel needed.

in other hand GE Cinema has very pure looking daylight , for eyes object lit by this thing is gorgeous but to camera it's get green cast. and similar case on Dulux L.

I've never experienced on Real Kino tube. maybe get the best result? Who know. But for me just buy any fixture 55W and get Osram is Awesome result. Plus buy some +green gel for case use in building where temperated glass may got green!

Here is some test on my friend