Video of VL312 on camera light - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 10th, 2013, 10:25 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Video of VL312 on camera light

It seems to be sold by a number of companies with wildly different pricing. e.g. Ikan seems to be selling the exact same light kit at more than double the price. What gives?
Keith Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 06:25 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Not unheard of. A manufacturer makes the product...other companys buy a license for the product so they can put they're name on it and be in the market. the manufacturer brands the product to those people. Everyone makes money. Why? Some people won't buy anything unless it's branded "my favorite brand" others don't care. Market is covered, everyone makes money.

Used to be, Chevrolet and GMC trucks which are almost 100% identical, are made in the same plant, by the same people with the same parts. the nametag of one says Chevrolet...the other one says GMC. Difference in price.
Go figure.
Old February 11th, 2013, 09:00 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Hi Don - if they're competing with each other and giving us authentic gear at better prices, then it sounds good to me! I've noticed the same thing with the Z96 lights from F&V.
Old February 11th, 2013, 11:19 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Agreed but the thing is, is which one is the REAL DEAL? For example, mine is a Fotodiox brand. Now they make a bunch of different stuff for photo and video so are they the real one or is the one that Taky sells? Who knows. Both kits look about the same. For me, as long as it does what I want it to do and I don't feel I'm getting ripped off, I don't care what name is on it. I just want it to do the job! ;-)
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:07 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Hey Don, I did some more searching and found that there's yet another version of this 312 LED light. I've only found it on eBay, and it's called the 312 ASZ. The seller claims it is an upgraded version of the light and it sells for about the same price.
From the eBay description:
"New Upgraded Model 312 ASZ
1-New Diffuser: 2x thicker than the original slide in diffuser panel, better close-up diffusion..
2-New Magnetic connectors: Attach diffuser/filters via magnets instead of sliding them in.
3-New Shoe Piece: Locks securely into place. No more slippage .
4-Thicker Plastic: Stronger frame, no longer a fragile body.
5-Longer 2 year warranty LED bulbs are covered under a 2 year warranty."
Old February 14th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Keith, that looks similar to mine. Mine has the magnetic corners which are great, way better than the slide in (IMO). I got the following with mine which I got from the company that starts with an A(mazon).
The light, 2 off brand sony type 550 batterys, the adjustable shoe mount, the diffuser, a dual battery charger, a cable 2.5mm to cig adapter (hence I can use my Bescor battery(s)) and if you order RIGHT NOW!!!! A cute little carry case for all of the goods! Actually it just came with. I got it for $166 out the door. It by Fotodiox and honeslty it works like a champ. Very happy with it. I made a cable for it to run off the power tap on my HM700 and it's nice not having to worry about battery's even though I still keep them in a case in my car should I need them. Ithink ALL of the 312 lights are made by the same manufacturer. At least it looks like it.
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #22
Major Player

I've been looking around at this light in different places, at what may or may not be the same light. Some clearly have the same features, others its hard to tell although in one case what looked to be the same from 2 different vendors apparently had 2 different, albeit close colour temperatures. On the other hand 1 site listed 2 colour temps (5400 and 5600) for the same light, so go figure.

Anyway, what really brought me back to this thread was the idea of using these battery operated lights on stands for interviews. Don, you earlier referred to using one for a key, another for a fill. You made no mention of it but have you found anything that you'd use for a back light?

I haven't found anything but for this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/624598-REG/Dedolight_DLOBMLSH_Ledzilla_Mini_LED_Daylight.html
Looks good, but pricey. Of course you get what you pay for. I am wondering about the Comer 1800 in this respect. No focusing ability as with the Dedo, but at least you can control it to certain degree with the barn doors.

Thoughts?
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 07:19 AM   #23
Inner Circle

I just shot a standup talking heads on a black background (my favorite) and my set up was as follows...
312AS on the 3200k setting on a stand for my KEY
CN160 with the "indoor" filter on it on a stand as my fill.
Both running at full power both have a piece of Tough Spun over the diffusers to soften things up a bit.
For a backlight, I used another CN160 set up the same as the fill but with the power set way down until I got the effect I wanted and of course the light was set down low on a light stand. I kept the subject about 3 1/3 ft off the background which BTW is a black king sized bedsheet that has some folds and wrinkles in it so when it hangs and is lit slightly, it has a bit of "character" to it. the room itself was pretty dark as once everthing was set I shut off the room lights so no spill, I manually WB and IIRC the camera set to 2800k. I can't pull a freeze to show it since this client got the footage DL'd to his computer right after the shoot and I already reformatted the card but I can say that it looked good on his laptop (a MAC of some sort) and when his "editor" dropped it on the TL of FCP it looked good.
So for talking heads up to 2 people that system works for me. For more than 2 well, gotta bring out more lights and frankly if they're run and gun at say a seminar or trade show, then realistically, I'll pop the 312 on my camera, if I can I'll use a couple of the 160s as fills from either side and off I go. A lot of the RnG Man on the street stuff at shows that I do is news style. Not exactly the kind of stuff I can get to take a lot of time on. I'm almost thinking about gettingone of the 508s and using that and the 312 and then the 160s for accent and backlites. Hmmm, more money going out the door!
HTHs
Old February 16th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #24
Major Player

Thanks Don. I think I'm gonna have to give them a shot.
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #25
Trustee

Jase,

You will like the 312. It is a good light. Especially for the cost. I want a couple more of them.

Steve
Old February 18th, 2013, 01:22 PM   #26
Trustee

A thank you from me too, I think a couple of these will give me a portable self contained solution for stand up and run and gun interview situations! They are now available for delivery in the UK so no waiting for shipment from china!

Will post my own thoughts once I have had a chance to do some test shooting!
Old February 19th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #27
Trustee

CRI: I've got the same question that Jase had about the CRI. With LEDs the CRI can be problematical. What are the users finding out about the color, especially the green spikes?

Charger: another question I have is with regard to the charger. Does it say that it is also good for 240V 50Hz? Several ads I've read say the seller ships world-wide but it's possible they could ship a different charger for the destination country.

I would like something that runs on 120V 60Hz that I can use a plug adapter to go from the US wall outlet to the European outlets. I would certainly ask a seller before I ever bought one what their charger takes but I thought that as long as I'm asking about the CRI I'd ask this one too.

Color Temperature: the 5400 vs 5600K does raise a question. Chinese suppliers are known to switch things for different buyers and if the lower temperature is cheaper and they just use the same enclosure then you never know what you get. It does raise a question mark.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #28
Inner Circle

John,
I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.
1st, to be honest, I haven't really noticed any problem with the color or green spikes but then perhaps I'm not a picky as I could be. I did a talking heads today and used the 312 as my key light with a 160 as a fill and it looked fine to my eye in the VF and on the computer screen.
2nd. As for the charger, the one that I got is not made for anything but 110-120v 60hz and as for using ac power, I haven't seen any of the 312s that say they can handle it. there is a cable (at least mine came with it) that powers the light off a battery that has a cig adapter as my Bescor NiMH 50W has and I can power the light at full power, 3200k for many hours. I've never run out of power using that battery.
3rd. The temp preset are 3200 and 5200 and seem to be right on. When I WB my HM700 those are the setting I get so I would say they are on point.
Keep in mind this light isn't a $1000 LitePanel but it is reasonable in price and decent in power and color and it works for me and a bunch of other folks I know around here. Heck, that's why I got it. I saw a couple of guys using them so I figured for $150 how could I go wrong. I've spent that on dinner and still had indigestion! Well, OK not $150 but you know what I mean! ;-)
HTHs
Old February 19th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #29
Trustee

John,

The 312 head might be the same from different suppliers but it sounds like the accessory's do vary. The light in the video I got from LA Color came with a single battery charger. It is clearly labeled for 110V 60Hz or 240V 50Hz.

The cig adapter does not power the light. It will only power the battery charger. Weird.....

The light has an input for DC power @ 7.4V~14.8V. I thought I was going to use one of my universal power supplys if I ever wanted to go AC but none of my pins fit. With all of the battery options I have I don't see that as a big deal. Don, so you have a cable that fits this for your Bescor?

When I shot the video I used Lowell pro lights and the manual WB came in at 3200 as it should. I don't have a lux meter so I can't test it at 5400 vs. 5600. I tried a I-pad app but it was junk.

Steve
Old February 19th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #30
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.
1st, to be honest, I haven't really noticed any problem with the color or green spikes but then perhaps I'm not a picky as I could be.
My main purpose to having a light would be for family videos and for that I could (reluctantly) accept a cost-effective solution with a somewhat less than perfect light. At the moment I have no portable light available so this would be my first one. All my other lights are on stands and aren't suitable in many situations.

Given all the bells and whistles and a light that is "close enough for Government work" based on what people are saying, I'm giving it serious consideration. The other problem, though, is the typical mixed-light situation and with todays variety of light sources, LED, fluorsent, and a few tungsten with some daylight thrown in, getting a perfect light is becoming almost impossible. The green in LED light is tough for me to edit out though, and filters don't seem to really do the job with the LEDs I have, but they get close.

Quote:
2nd. As for the charger, the one that I got is not made for anything but 110-120v 60hz and as for using ac power, I haven't seen any of the 312s that say they can handle it. there is a cable (at least mine came with it) that powers the light off a battery that has a cig adapter as my Bescor NiMH 50W has and I can power the light at full power, 3200k for many hours. I've never run out of power using that battery.
This is one part I don't fully understand - how the battery and charging system works. Unfortunately, I don't have any of the battery types that will work with the adaptors people have talked about and I would really need something that will work on both the US power as well as European mains (British for "power"). There are power bricks that work with both power sources and the bricks some have adjustable voltages and come with various jacks. I would prefer if the light would come with a charger that said it would work with 120/240 though.

Quote:
3rd. The temp preset are 3200 and 5200 and seem to be right on. When I WB my HM700 those are the setting I get so I would say they are on point.
Keep in mind this light isn't a $1000 LitePanel but it is reasonable in price and decent in power and color and it works for me and a bunch of other folks I know around here. Heck, that's why I got it. I saw a couple of guys using them so I figured for $150 how could I go wrong. I've spent that on dinner and still had indigestion! Well, OK not $150 but you know what I mean! ;-)
HTHs
Yes, I understand it's not the gold standard, but if it's, say, sterling, maybe it's good enough for my immediate needs and this would be good.

Now if only I could find a way to work it on 240V (12V DC isn't available) I might spring for one. It seems like the new "improved" model solved the initial "issues" of the original version so that's a plus.
John Nantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management