DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Open Source, Ultra-Bright LED Lumapad with WiFi & Arduino (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/515016-open-source-ultra-bright-led-lumapad-wifi-arduino.html)

Richard Crowley March 13th, 2013 09:44 AM

Open Source, Ultra-Bright LED Lumapad with WiFi & Arduino

This looks like a VERY interesting lighting idea/kit/product. What do you think?
I have no connection with this project, but I think I think I will put some money into the Kickstarter project.

Open Source, Ultra-Bright LED Lumapad with WiFi & Arduino by Richard Haberkern — Kickstarter

Arthur Gannis March 13th, 2013 09:56 PM

Re: Open Source, Ultra-Bright LED Lumapad with WiFi & Arduino

Looks great. Specs say it's a 1000w equivalent at 88 watts consumption.
Wonder how they calculated that.
How about a lux amount at 3 feet photometric spec. along with a beam angle ?
Not too much info to go on. How about a CRI index?

Jack Zhang March 14th, 2013 07:12 PM

If this can be shrunken down further into an on-camera solution, that would be amazing. Only proprietary portions would be the battery plates, which you purchase separately.

Arthur Gannis March 15th, 2013 08:39 AM

I would imagine to shrink down further with the same output would necessitate that big fan to become bigger. It's like less of this but more of that.
That fan on a video light may cause air flow turbulence noise. Leds run very hot at the rear of the emitter and do need cooling whether active or passive especially in the high lumen output types. Getting a true 1000w equivalent in LED ( 17,000 lumens) would require either a very large heat sink ( chasssis ) even with a fan on it.A 17,000 lumen led on-camera light would be a choice of a fanless chassis in the order of 12 inches wide X 4 inches deep X 4 inches height. Using 12 fins 3 inches high X 11 inches wide and a total heat radiating surface area of 792 square inches. This is assuming using 32 leds that output a lumen rating of 531 lumens each and each consuming 2.75 watts or less. ( consuming 2.75 watts for a 531 lumen figure would be the holy grail of leds). An active fan solution would require a much smaller chassis with a high CFM fan. which would result in a higher wind noise.

Chris Medico March 15th, 2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 1784431)
If this can be shrunken down further into an on-camera solution, that would be amazing. Only proprietary portions would be the battery plates, which you purchase separately.

6000lumens in a package that would fit on a camera would be dangerous to the eyesight of those unfortunate enough to be subjected to it. :(

Arthur Gannis March 15th, 2013 11:23 AM

You got that right. I designed and built the brightest on-camera led lights using the most effiecent led's out there powered by a single BPU 14.4 v or NP-F 960 series Sony battery. The best I have done in the smallest form factor as a camera mountable video light, was a fanless unit measuring 4 inches wide `x 3 inches high X 2.75 inches deep. It outputs the equivalent of a 175W halogen filament measured at 3200 lux at 3 feet with a beam angle of 40 degrees. It draws 26 watts using Cree XM-L leds in the 4000K neutral tint. That feat was only possible using TIR optics. At half brightness, they are truly blinding if looking at them. A 2000 watt or 2K unit is definitely possible just by using the appropriate amount of leds and a power source that can supply a steady 300watt DC to the led driver (s) . definitely not battery powered or at least lightweight.

Chris Medico March 15th, 2013 11:25 AM

All I would say is - please don't come interview me with one of those on your camera!

Ouch.

Arthur Gannis March 15th, 2013 02:13 PM

A diffusion panel and a dimmer work wonders for close interview work, but when you have to light up a large dance area when the maitre D dims down the lights to a coal bin level, it is a nice warm feeling to know you have the high luxes available instead of upping the gain and increase the grain.

James Redmond March 17th, 2013 07:23 AM

Arthur, What LED on camera light did you design?

I'm looking for an LED light kits mainly for interviews.

Thanks, James

Arthur Gannis March 18th, 2013 07:43 AM

It was designed around a solid one-piece aluminum casing that was compact enough to support up to 4 lighting class leds and had good heat dissipating properties. After which many changes were made to electronics and materials, a group of pro photographers and videographers were given each a prototype unit to field test on actual assignments. From the input gathered, I designed the layout of controls as well as the choice of TIR oprics and reflectors for beam control.

James Palanza March 23rd, 2013 11:16 AM

This looks super awesome, now if it could run off of batteries, that would be great!