DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Arri parts from hardware store (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/516195-arri-parts-hardware-store.html)

Zach Love April 29th, 2013 02:37 PM

Arri parts from hardware store

2 Attachment(s)
I have a Arri 650w Plus Fresnel that needs repair. There are just a couple common pieces that I need & I don't want to order the entire replacement kit packages ($34 for a new switch, when all I need is two terminals that cost less than a $1 each).

Anyone know if is it possible to order just the crimp terminals that come with the "In-line switch" L4.77157.E & just one screw from the "Reflector" L4.79441.E?

Or does anyone know size / name of these parts that I can get from a hardware store?

Thanks!

Zach Love April 29th, 2013 03:17 PM

Re: Arri parts from hardware store

Looks like the crimp terminals are 14-16 gauge, 1/4" (0.25") female. Sometimes called Faston.

Can anyone chime in if they think I'm making a bad guess?

Female .250" Fully Insulated Quick Disconnect Terminal 100pcs 14-16ga (Blue) : Amazon.com : Automotive

Still need to figure out the screw for the reflector...

Rainer Listing April 29th, 2013 04:23 PM

I can' believe I'm answering this. You may need to get out more. 1. Take your cable to an auto parts store, match up the terminals with the range they have there. 2. Extract your other screw. Take it to a hardware store. Match it up with the range they have there. Seems too obvious. I'm missing something here aren't I? (Something apart from 3. Video the process and post a tutorial on YouTube "How to fix an Arri 650")

Don Bloom April 29th, 2013 07:09 PM

Any Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, True Value or Ace will have these connectors in the hardware or automotive section. I think I've got about 8 or 10 in one of my tool boxes in my garage. Easy fix. Clip the cable, strip the cable, place new connector, crimp, done.

Zach Love April 30th, 2013 09:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the reply Don & Rainer. I hadn't thought about automotive, but it makes sense as soon as I read it. Had only been thinking hardware / electrical.

I agree, it will be an easy fix. Mostly I was just looking to see if anyone off the bat knew the size / part name. Like if you lose the nut for a http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/544890-REG/VariZoom_VZ_ROCK_EX_VZ_Rock_EX_PMW_EX1_Rocker_Controller.html you need a "10-32 Knurled Nut Brass" (I know this b/c I just had to replace two nuts that were lost)

But the last time I was repairing an Arri, the parts I got from the hardware store didn't exactly line up with the parts in the light. (I don't have a comparison photo of the two terminals, but the ring terminal on the yellow / green wire didn't match up.)

When the wire gauge is correct, the ring is too small & won't fit over the bolt. When the ring is correct, the gauge is too big & doesn't crimp onto the wire.

Not sure if it is some American vs German thing, or what. But I had to widen the ring a little to get it to fit, without making it too big that it would break / fail.

I am glad this time around that it looks like the terminal is more standard, but it looks like I'll have to bring the screw in & start checking box after box at Ace / True Value for the correct $0.30 screw (I'll start with sheet screws & go from there).

Don Bloom April 30th, 2013 11:55 AM

Zach, watch the metric ASE difference. You'll probably find mostly ASE and I think you'd need a metric.
The electrical connections won't make a difference except on the post kind like your previous repair. Again metric vs. ASE. In any case, you should have no problem finding what you need.