Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old December 3rd, 2005, 02:37 PM   #16
Sponsor: VASST

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Payne
hi,
i only have 4x1000w lights, mainly for music videos. If i wanted to create natural lighting effects am i right in assuming I'll need some lower wattage lamps? Also what benefit does an umbrella give you?
Thanks
David, Not sure what you mean by natural lighting effect. If you mean an indoor interview style lighting, 1000w lights are pretty bright. Follow the advice that Dennis gave and you should be OK.

Umbrellas are for defused light but they are uncontrollable so only use them when you want to flood an area with diffused light. You really want a softbox for something like a diffused key light because it is more controllable.

~jr
Old December 3rd, 2005, 06:33 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Regarding durability of Lowel - They hold up pretty well for owner/operators. Rental houses hate 'em and usually don't carry them because they get beat up pretty easiliy in rentals. As Glenn mentioned, especially the omni barndoors, but other stuff too... all lightweight stands require some care.

I'd not hesitate to buy them as an owner/operator or with a limited number of people using them.

Arrilite is a comparable open face instrument that rental agencies love because they hold up.

As mentioned above, a standard location interview kit is 4 sources: Key, fill, backlight, and background. But there are techniques to use fewer. Lots of people using softboxes on key are just using a reflector on fill, this works because the key wraps around the fill "side" quite a bit, and, without an egg crate, a soft box throws a lot of light sideways as well as straight ahead.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management