Has anyone tried one of these: Cineo TruColor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old June 18th, 2013, 08:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Has anyone tried one of these: Cineo TruColor?

I've been piecing together a new lighting kit for more intimate shoots. I've gotten several Zylight Z90 lights which I really like. And then I went cheap with 4 HDVZ96 lights which I am dissapointed in. I thought these Cineo TruColor phosphorous lights seem promising. I'm looking for a good key light...cool, light/easy to transport, good lighting quality and throw.
Old June 18th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Has anyone tried one of these: Cineo TruColor?

Den Lennie has a post about this light in his blog - Episode #5 - Cineo Lighting - Remote Phosphor Technology - F-Stop Academy
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks Paul
Old June 19th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #4
Major Player

This might be totally not the case, as light quality is rather subjective, but its worth mentioning:

There are a *tremendous* amount of hdv-z96 clones on the market. I have 4 genuine f&v z96 and the color rendition is among the best amongh any LED panel i've ever seen. There isn't a hint of a green cast and skin colors look great. I've put them on talent with some very discriminating DPs and have never had a complaint. That said, I have some mates with Z96 that look identical (or, at least, with minor differences that look like simple tooling differences) and theirs range from pretty good to pretty bad. I would say that buying z96 from an unknown source is kinda like buying eneloop batteries or sandisk flash cards off ebay. Even some reputable dealers have ended up with knockoffs that you'd never know about unless directly comparing to the "real" thing.

Now, its entirely possible that you got a genuine unit and are simply unhappy with the color rendition... if thats the case, nevermind!

If it is more intensity you wanted, the f&v k4000 is a lot of punch for the money (although I cannot attest to the colors yet) and the f&v z180 is a big brother of the z96 with more punch and a unique ability to have the units talk to each other if you link them up. The price was too high for me to jump on them, but might work for you.

Just some random thoughts. Cheers!
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management