DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Homemade scrim--done! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/517584-homemade-scrim-done.html)

Oren Arieli July 4th, 2013 12:12 PM

Homemade scrim--done!

1 Attachment(s)
It took a bit longer than expected, but I was finally able to complete my 4'x4' scrim/flag frame and fabrics. Wanting to save money over the road rag options meant getting a bit of help with the sewing. Frame was easy, square tubing, right angle connectors and flip-flop ear connectors. Fabric was sourced from my local fabric store. Stretchy white fabric works great, but is much more difficult to attach than standard (non-stretchy) muslin. I also bought some heavy black cloth for the flag. Finding a good seamstress was key, as was finding a good glue that would work with aluminum and velcro.

Huge thanks goes out to the DIY tutorial by Ryan Walters: Tutorials & Tips From Ryan E. Walters

Before/after results can be seen in the pic.

Tim Polster July 5th, 2013 07:34 AM

Re: Homemade scrim--done!

Great job. DIY can save a lot of money plus you can make it custom for your needs.

Oren Arieli July 5th, 2013 10:33 AM

Thanks Tim. I do have a better appreciation or Scrim Jim's (and the like), as quality work and materials are not cheap.

Tim Polster July 6th, 2013 10:41 AM

Your right, this space is a bit expensive. I made a 4x4 overhead butterfly for outdoor interviews out of PVC and sheer fabric from Joanne Fabrics for about $10 excluding the $30 clamp. It is not as good looking as yours but I like how I can tear it down easily and fit it into a small diameter soft case.

Allan Black July 6th, 2013 08:04 PM

Good job Oren, we rent the same size here watching out for any wind gusts, they can startle the talent and get you some expletives :)

We also note Ryan advises '** I DO NOT recommend building anything larger then an 8x8 frame using this method. If you need a larger frame,
rent or buy the real thing. If you build anything larger then an 8x8 frame, there is a good possibility that it will not be structurally safe'

Cheers.

Oren Arieli July 7th, 2013 12:28 AM

Thanks for the advice Allan. I don't plan on going larger than 4x4. For my needs, that is just fine. For windier conditions, I would probably use a 2nd C-stand or figure out an alternative. Audio is a pain during windy conditions anyway.

Craig Chartier July 9th, 2013 03:29 PM

That looks really good.

D.J. Ammons July 9th, 2013 06:40 PM

Nice! Can you tell us how much you spent on material and how that compares to purchasing the same size one ready made?

Oren Arieli July 10th, 2013 10:09 AM

I cut the cost down a bit by ordering enough material for 2 frames, on which went to my colleague. This cut the shipping fees down by 1/2. I would have to look back through my invoices, but I believe the material costs came in at around $140, including white fabric and black fabric,
$60 for frame tubes and connectors.
$45 for flip-flop ears (you can get away with using one when there is no wind).
$15 fabric
$20 sew-on velcro (20 yards worth). A friend did the sewing for me.

A smaller 42"x42" Wescott Scrim Jim kit runs $218 at B&H

Steve Oakley July 16th, 2013 07:55 PM

you can buy REAL 1X1 1/8" wall aluminum tube at a local metal supplier. they will cut to length. cost is about .50/ft or $8 to have the real stuff. haven't found a cheap source of corners yet that are metal & like the matthews which are wildly over priced when you need a couple sets. their ears are garbage for what they charge.

Tom Morrow July 19th, 2013 06:24 AM

Nice. I did a project a while that involved me paying $40 to a seamstress to sew about 3 yards of velcro onto a garmet. I wouldn't be surprised if paying minimum wage for the sewing would easily bring the cost back up to that of the commercial product.

>$20 sew-on velcro (20 yards worth). A friend did the sewing for me.