DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Simple backlight for close backlighting situation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/518121-simple-backlight-close-backlighting-situation.html)

David Pakman August 4th, 2013 09:05 AM

Simple backlight for close backlighting situation

I'm in need of an inexpensive backlight for a 3 point lighting setup. The setup involves the subject sitting in front of a 70" flat panel television, which makes up the entire background. My thought is to place the backlight on a simple light stand right behind the television screen.

Both the key and secondary lights on the subject are very white color temperature, so I'd like something to match. The backlight will only be a couple of feet from the subject, so I don't want something too strong or otherwise inappropriate for this setup.

Are there some suggestions people could give for the backlight I should use?

Al Gardner August 4th, 2013 10:04 AM

Re: Simple backlight for close backlighting situation

Lowel Pro light

Oren Arieli August 4th, 2013 10:07 AM

...with a snoot.

David W. Jones August 4th, 2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Pakman (Post 1807295)
I'm in need of an inexpensive backlight for a 3 point lighting setup. The setup involves the subject sitting in front of a 70" flat panel television, which makes up the entire background. My thought is to place the backlight on a simple light stand right behind the television screen.

Both the key and secondary lights on the subject are very white color temperature, so I'd like something to match. The backlight will only be a couple of feet from the subject, so I don't want something too strong or otherwise inappropriate for this setup.

Are there some suggestions people could give for the backlight I should use?

3 Questions.

What do you consider inexpensive?

What color temperature is "very white"?

What are your key & fill lights?

Edward Carlson August 4th, 2013 11:11 AM

A 150 watt (Inkie or Arri 150) side armed on a c-stand.

Al Gardner August 4th, 2013 12:58 PM

Those would be a good choice depending on his idea of "inexpensive".

David Pakman August 4th, 2013 01:35 PM

By inexpensive I was hoping for $150-$275 for the light, bulb, and a stand. My key and fill lights are 5600K.

Is there anything in particular that I gain by going with the inkie or arri over the lowell that was suggested?

Also, with any of these, do I need to add a filter to block UV radiation? My understand is that with these, unlike my fluorescents, this needs to be taken into consideration?

Daniel Epstein August 6th, 2013 10:51 AM

If you are going with 5600K lighting you should look for a 5600K source although your price range may be too little.

Check out the single light price for this.

ALZO 600 Continuous Professional "Cool Lite" Kits

I do like to make my Back Lights bigger and softer than an undiffused Lowel Pro but this might be a bit big for what you can fit.

Steven Digges August 8th, 2013 01:14 PM

David,

Every light kit needs dimmers. Regardless of your source, a back light two feet away from the back of the subject will probably not be a perfect level to match you key. Put a dimmer in line and dial it in. Unless your using florescent.

Steve

Les Wilson August 8th, 2013 09:24 PM

A dichroic filter on tungsten lights will make them match the 5600K of the Key and Fill while also reducing the amount of light. A 250w Lowel Pro should do nicely. The Pro will require the barn door accessory to mount the Pro dichroic filter accessory.