DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old September 1st, 2013, 12:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Lights causing "flicker" in video

I was recently filming a wedding and noticed during editing that footage from the dance floor had what looked like a flicker or strobe effect to it. I did not see this with my eyes or on the lcd of the camera. Please see the link below for shots including this "flicker". It is visible in the first couple shots and pretty bad at 2:58.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...blackbird.html

From searching this forum, I believe it was caused by the type of lighting on the dance floor. If I am correct, how can I prevent this in the future when at different venues? I couldn't even tell it was happening. Also, is there a way I can fix this in post? ...or at least make it not so pronounced? Thanks!!!
Byron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 03:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Lights causing "flicker" in video

Discharge lamps (LED, fluorescent, HMI, etc.) all can seem to flicker in video if you don't sync up with the power frequency. That would be 60Hz in NA, 50Hz in Europe, etc.

All you have to do is keep your shutter speed in a multiple of mains frequency. So if you're in NA, 1/60th is preferred, 1/30th works, etc.

Google around, you'll find you aren't the first person to have this happen, and you can find the theory behind what I've told you.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:15 AM   #3
Trustee

Re: Lights causing "flicker" in video

this is not a Hz problem it's caused by LEDs

see my comment in your other post

Pulse Width Modulation is NOT Your Friend by Art Adams

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management