DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 25th, 2014, 02:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Switronix Bolt LED Backligt?

So I'm considering buying the Switronix Bolt LED to use as a harsh hair/back light but I don't know if it will get the job done without having to be really close to my subject. I'm going for a VERY harsh rim light look that seems to be popular now in the TV commercial world.

I've seen tons of video reviews of this light but nobody is really using it to get the harsh rim that I'm going for. Does anyone have any footage of this light being used in such a way???

My other option to get this look is the E-photo 600 LED.

Here's a quick sample of the look I'm talking about: http://siextramustard.files.wordpres...D600%26h%3D345

Thanks much!
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 06:59 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Switronix Bolt LED Backligt?

I have a feeling the example you shared was lit with HMIs, which are an order of magnitude brighter than the Bolt. It's all relative though. If you're trying to battle bright ambient light (like anything outdoors during daylight), you're bound to be disappointed with any LED. Indoors, when you can control the ambient, then you should be okay. A better bet (if you can afford it) is the Zylight or Arri LED fresnel lights. They still won't be as bright as an HMI, but they pack quite a punch and can be focused.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 11:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Arieli View Post
I have a feeling the example you shared was lit with HMIs, which are an order of magnitude brighter than the Bolt. It's all relative though. If you're trying to battle bright ambient light (like anything outdoors during daylight), you're bound to be disappointed with any LED. Indoors, when you can control the ambient, then you should be okay. A better bet (if you can afford it) is the Zylight or Arri LED fresnel lights. They still won't be as bright as an HMI, but they pack quite a punch and can be focused.
Hey Arieli, thanks for the reply. That pick was probably a bad example as 95% of my commercial video shoots are Indoors, this new pic is really more what I'm looking to capture as far as a hard rim light for my videos. Just don't know if the Bolt is strong enough to pull it off without being super close to the subject.

Pic: http://www.photomatters.org/sites/de...2-12-10-86.jpg
Old January 26th, 2014, 01:57 PM   #4
Major Player

I guess it depends on how you define 'super close' then. The Bolt will give you anywhere from 1800 to 3800 lux at 1 meter. If you're on a medium close up, then you should have no problems getting a hard light, but you might have to dial in 4100K (utilizing all LEDs). You'll have to compare this to the output of your key/fill light. If you're only getting 900 lux on the face, then you'll be in good shape with the brightness of the rim light.

By comparison, the Lowel Pro light with a 250w bulb will give you 4200 lux at 3 meters...which gives you much more room to work with. Move it closer and you can overcome much brighter key/fill lighting. Add a snoot and you can get a nice tight beam, similar to what you could get with a much more expensive DedoLight.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Arieli View Post
I guess it depends on how you define 'super close' then. The Bolt will give you anywhere from 1800 to 3800 lux at 1 meter. If you're on a medium close up, then you should have no problems getting a hard light, but you might have to dial in 4100K (utilizing all LEDs). You'll have to compare this to the output of your key/fill light. If you're only getting 900 lux on the face, then you'll be in good shape with the brightness of the rim light.

By comparison, the Lowel Pro light with a 250w bulb will give you 4200 lux at 3 meters...which gives you much more room to work with. Move it closer and you can overcome much brighter key/fill lighting. Add a snoot and you can get a nice tight beam, similar to what you could get with a much more expensive DedoLight.
Thanks again, yeah I already have a great Tungston kit that would do the job, the Lowells are great but I'm just trying to stay with a low heat and low power florescent and LED light set up. In a perfect world I would just get an Arri, but my pay scale inst quite there yet. haha.

I'll give the LED 600's with barndoors a try and post an update hopefully with some screen grabs when that happens.

Thanks again!
Old February 6th, 2014, 05:25 PM   #6
Major Player

What I use for a harsh rim light at a distance of 15 feet is a narrow beam led light ( 15 degrees spot.) that outputs the equivalent of a 300w halogen at that distance. The beam angle being narrow projects an intense light just perfect for rim hair lighting. The light also has a 3 color temperature selector and is powered by an L series Sony battery.I can also widen the beam to 30 and 60 degrees by just adding a diffuser.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 08:53 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Gannis View Post
What I use for a harsh rim light at a distance of 15 feet is a narrow beam led light ( 15 degrees spot.) that outputs the equivalent of a 300w halogen at that distance. The beam angle being narrow projects an intense light just perfect for rim hair lighting. The light also has a 3 color temperature selector and is powered by an L series Sony battery.I can also widen the beam to 30 and 60 degrees by just adding a diffuser.
That's exactly what I've been looking for Arthur, Do you have a brand & model # or link to the one you use? I just hope it's affordable like many of the other LED panels out there, if it's the cost of an Arri or something like that there's no way I can afford that. Haha

Thanks, please inform;)
Old February 8th, 2014, 11:19 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Gannis View Post
Hey Arthur! Can you please let me know the brand of the LED spot is that you were referring to??? I'd really like to check it out. Thanks!
Danny Winn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management