DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   scrims, floppies, flag materials (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/522255-scrims-floppies-flag-materials.html)

Tom Morrow March 15th, 2014 05:34 PM

scrims, floppies, flag materials

A while back I lucked into a deal on the following sizes of frames normally used for flags:

2 of 18x24"
2 of 24x26"
2 of 36x36"

They all have pins to be held in a grip stand, but currently no fabric. I had been planning to make my own panels, but then I realized that I have neither equipment nor motivation for sewing. I emailed "The Rag Place" asking if they would sew me covers that I could slip on. They said yes to duvytene slipcovers or floppies, and I'm assuming I can have them made of any fabric they sell.

So I'm thinking about what would best serve my long term needs doing lighting for narrative, documentary, and corporate.

I have found floppies to be very useful in shielding one or two people from sun, so I'm thinking to have two 3x3 floppy sleeves made of duvetyne or similar. I know most people use 4x4 floppies, but 3x3 is the biggest size that will fit in my vehicle with other gear.

I'd like at least one standard black cutter (duvetyne) in 24x36 and 18x24

I'm wondering if I should try one of their fancier black fabrics like black knockout which might be easier to lug around than duvytene.

For the other frames 18x24, 24x36, and 3x3 I'm thinking I'd like diffusion material, but I'm not sure what to order. I could ask for a fabric with properties similar to lee 216 diffusion gel, which seems to be the most generally useful. It might be nice to also have a lighter diffusion more like lee 251 gel. I might also want a solid white fabric for bouncing. But I don't want to get too carried away and have all fabrics in all sizes. I can ask "The Rag Place" what they would recommend, but I thought I'd ask if anyone has personal favorite fabrics from that place. Because I'll likely have to double the fabric to make a slipcover, perhaps I should go with their lightest diffusions.

Just to round out the discussion, my other gear that this will complement is:
24x36" Matthews single net, double net, and silk open end scrims
24x36" Westcott fast flags kit with single net, double net, silk open end and black
3'x6' frame: silk and bounce
8'x8' frame: digital juice silk and black

Tom Morrow March 23rd, 2014 08:55 PM

Re: scrims, floppies, flag materials

Okay, so nobody has an opinion. It's hard choosing from all these possibilities.

One thing I'm wondering about is getting floppies made in white rather than black duvetyne. I know that the folks who have grip trucks might as well get the black because they wear better, but as for me, I'm thinking that white opaque might be more useful. That way I could use them as reflectors as well as needed. Perhaps get one 3x3 floppy in black and one in white? Or even get crazy and get white on one side and black on the other side?

Daniel Epstein March 24th, 2014 06:09 PM

Re: scrims, floppies, flag materials

Hey Tom,
Many trucks have Silks on small frames to go along with Flags and nets. I use my flags ten times more than my nets and silks but I am in NY so black is more the style (grin).