DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old September 14th, 2014, 05:20 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Chinese Lights safety?

Here's a blog on a Chinese light that points out issues found on that light and details that should be checked.

Production Blog: Chinese Fresnels - Are They Any Good?

The article qualifies that there are good lights, but not all lights are made to the same standards.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2014, 06:49 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Chinese Lights safety?

Not bad as a review, but a few points missed. It's not clear where the reviewer was, but here in the UK, they'd fail the PAT before getting further. My own experience is similar.

Firstly - those Blue connectors are not appropriate for use in Europe - they are similar to our CEE types, but not compatible. The two core mains cable needs replacing, and earth bonds checking - most are poorly done, and the bad earth causes the PAT fail. Check that the fibreglass heat shield is actually where it should be.

Remember that the basic sound design gets compromised by poor assembly. The barn door material is also very soft, so they bend very easily. Check that the lenses are properly seated and not over tightened - this is a common cause of fracture.

Remember that lamps should still be 240V types for the UK. Even though we are supposed to be harmonised with Europe, 240V still emerges from most sockets in the UK, and 230V badged lamps are being slightly overrun, and have a lower life span - although, I also suspect that the lamps are packed without anyone wearing gloves were there any burnt finger prints on the glass left inside?

All the ones I have had needed some care and attention before putting into use, but once cables replaced, bonds tightened, and lamp holders adjusted, they've been pretty good.

Just assembled by monkeys who have no idea what they are actually doing.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2014, 06:53 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I believe he lives in Finland.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2014, 11:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Also beware of the 'Indian Redheads'. For UK use they need completely rewiring with three core cable, with a proper earth connection. The ceramic lamp seating mounts need replacing as do the bulbs. The types with a dimmer in the on/off switch need the entire dimmer/switch unit replaced. Other than that they are fine.
Guy Caplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 08:13 AM   #5
Wrangler

I've bought a variety of these over the years of various quality and this guy has far and away the worst I've ever seen. I'd like to know which seller he got them from.
Old October 24th, 2014, 07:18 PM   #6
Trustee

Other than that they are fine?

I will keep using my Lowell kits as I slowly replace the them with LEDS.

Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management