DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old October 27th, 2014, 06:56 PM   #1
Trustee

How to properly CTO my Neewer LED?

I just bought a Neewer CN-304 LED light, which comes with an orange CTO type filter. While it is handy to be able to slot in the hard plastic orange filter, the resulting light output is magenta, and still around 3800k. I have a small Sima HD10 LED that I used a Lee filter (81D) on to produce a color accurate 3200k output. I am very happy with the results, as there is no off color shifts and my 3200k camera preset shows skin tone exactly on the appropriate vectorscope line. I would like to now gel my Neewer the same way, because if I white balance with it, the results are a greenish cast on distant objects which are not fully lit by the LED. If I white off of incandescent, then close in lighted objects appear with a magenta tone.

Would it make better sense to start from scratch with LED CTO, or would a green filter resolve this problem, and maybe drop the kelvin a bit as well? Should I gel the Neewer orange with a secondary filter, or make a full on custom version taped to the clear filter they include? What brands other than Lee should I be researching? I like their website, so they have always been my go-to filter resource. Thanks!

Paul

PS: OMG, this Neewer is bright!
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management