DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Dedolight & Litepanels "Daylight" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/526588-dedolight-litepanels-daylight.html)

Chris Stevens January 25th, 2015 06:34 AM

Dedolight & Litepanels "Daylight"

I have both Dedolight & Lightpanels LED daylight fixtures. Both claim to be 5600k. Dedolights look green when up against Lightpanels? Anyone else seen this?

Charles Papert January 25th, 2015 11:32 AM

Re: Dedolight & Litepanels "Daylight"

Or, it's possible the Litepanels may be magenta...!

The older Litepanels were not particularly color accurate. I haven't used the Astra models yet. Which model are you using?

Chris Stevens January 25th, 2015 11:57 AM

Indeed, will measure to see where they sit in kelvin.
Using Dedo 40w fresnels & Litepanels SOLA fresnels.
I must say, I prefer the SOLA when running the camera at 5600k.

Charles Papert January 25th, 2015 01:44 PM

OK interesting. I haven't had the opportunity to use either of those units yet myself.

Green/magenta wouldn't show up in the Kelvin measurement though.

If you had the chance to take a frame grab of a gray or white card with same exposure lit by each instrument and post, it would be interesting to put up on a vectorscope to see what is going on. As well as a Macbeth chart or similar.

Overall, it is a real pain to evaluate color purity of LED lights. The CRI value doesn't tell the whole story and some units just skew a little odd. A lot of people love the Kino Flo Celeb but I find it magenta, and always have to add a little plus-green.

Ken Diewert January 27th, 2015 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Stevens (Post 1874668)
Indeed, will measure to see where they sit in kelvin.
Using Dedo 40w fresnels & Litepanels SOLA fresnels.
I must say, I prefer the SOLA when running the camera at 5600k.

Chris,

I just picked up a SOLA 4, but I am experiencing intermittent failure of the servo zoom, then I have to use the phillips head override... If you have a 4, have you had any issues... I think the bigger SOLA's have a more functional manual option. Otherwise, I love the light. I am getting ready to send it back to B&H for a replacement, but I just don't want to be without it for the time being. I have a Zylight f8 LED coming soon. I was going to sell the replacement SOLA 4, but I'm sure that it will come in handy somewhere.

Personally, I absolutely love these LED fresnels... but... they are pricey.

Chris Stevens January 27th, 2015 03:35 AM

I have the Sola ENGs, so there is no servo focus, only manual by turning a large plastic barrel which is somewhat flakey & the weakest part of the lamp.

Ken Diewert January 27th, 2015 02:31 PM

Thanks Chris,

yeah, it is weird getting used to the light, plasticky feel of these... but I was shooting a couple of interviews in a real tight office last week, and with 2 diffused ikan LED panels and the sola 4 and it was nice and cool, and safe. Not to mention the ability to run on v-mounts as well.