DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Does anyone care about plasma lights yet? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/526742-does-anyone-care-about-plasma-lights-yet.html)

Dylan Couper February 2nd, 2015 05:47 PM

Does anyone care about plasma lights yet?

I remember the Hive plasma lights from NAB last year being quite good, but I haven't heard or seen or have anyone ask me about plasma once since. Just wondering if anyone in anyone elses' neck of the woods cares about them yet.

Oren Arieli February 2nd, 2015 07:12 PM

Re: Does anyone care about plasma lights yet?

As a rental, sure. But too expensive for me right now. Shane Hurlbut is a big fan.

Andrew Smith February 3rd, 2015 12:02 AM

Plasma light? Sounds interesting but I don't know too much about them.

Could you throw us a link or two?

Andrew

Mark Kenfield February 6th, 2015 12:37 AM

I think it's a really exciting technology. Point-source, full spectrum, tuneable daylight output, with twice the efficiency of HMI and seemingly better colour rendering (not to mention the vast superiority of it being a solid-state medium.

They need development of a broader range of globes. The 273w is useful (supposedly roughly equivalent to a 575w HMI), but imagine having a 500w plasma globe that put out 1k HMI output, a 1000w plasma that put out a 2k HMI output, and better still a 2000w plasma globe that put out the equivalent of a 4k HMI output whilst still being able to be plugged into a conventional household socket (in 240v land at least)! That would be an incredible development.

Here's hoping the technology can last long enough until the larger sources are developed.

Jacques Mersereau March 4th, 2015 07:56 PM

Hey Dylan,

I've been keeping an eye on plasma lighting.
HIVE seems to be doing well with studios and high speed,
but they are expensive and a hornet isn't as bright as some need -
which means adding more fixtures. More fixtures, more shadows = silk = less punch = more fixtures.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of a full spectrum light that takes half the power of an HMI,
but like an HMI, they can't be dimmed (I mean like stage lights with DMX controlled dimmers) and that takes them out of the picture for what I need in the UM video studio.

HIVE has been doing a few TV studio installs where the levels are kept set. I think it was at U of Illinois where they were experimenting with a 'multi lamped' plasma light something like an LED panel, there were several light sources that could be turned on and off to make their light output adjustable.
That seems unlikely to succeed to my thinking due to way they work. Perhaps someone will come up with some kind of LCD dimmer or a mechanical means of dimming like rotating scrims? Who knows?

Something geek we can talk about over a drink at NAB :-)

Adrian Tan April 2nd, 2015 11:59 PM

I was eagerly waiting for the Zacuto Plazma lights since NAB 2012... but looks like production has now been discontinued. My money wound up going to Rosco for a Litepads kit instead.

PlaZma Light | Zacuto USA

As for Zacuto's reasons for discontinuing, they write: "First, in the two years of development, other technologies in lighting have been introduced that we think deliver comparable quality and more output of soft light then the PlaZma does today. Second, this plasma technology does not lend itself to being powered by reasonable industry standard batteries. And lastly, along the way, the cost basis of the light kept rising making the technology too expensive."

And here are the light's claims to fame:

"Key features of the Zacuto PlaZma Light:

•Puts out an impressive 2000 lumens versus other industry 1×1 LED panels at 1200 lumens and 777 lumens on side lit reflected LEDS.
•Has a characteristic incandescent curve unlike LEDS that can have a nasty green spike and don’t mix well with practical or tungsten lights.
•The daylight balanced curve is unwavering at 5800K and mix well with HMIs.
•Just like traditional soft lights, the PlaZma Light has a wide light pattern as opposed to the spotty nature of an LED. But unlike traditional soft lights, the PlaZma Light has a huge throw.
•The soft nature of the PlaZma Light enables actors to look directly into it (from 5 inches) without squinting. The light fills the face with beautiful soft light unlike existing lights, including LEDs, which force you to lose light output as they need to be diffused, bounced or have an umbrella attached to it."

Dylan Couper April 10th, 2015 05:20 PM

Hey Jacques
I'll be popping by their booth Tuesday, they offered to ship me some up here to demo if I covered the shipping, but I figured I'd be down there anyway. It's such a brilliant (pun intended, sorry) device, but the implementation just doesn't click for me somehow. I think you covered it pretty well though. See you in 3 days!

Jacques Mersereau April 11th, 2015 07:31 AM

Hey Dylan,

You run a rental company, and Hive might be a great addition for what it does well - high speed.

I just received an Hive email ad. It seems they have a rack that can hold like six hornets.
A plasma 'Mole Par' as it were.

Yes, I will see you either on the floor or at the 'mill.

Viva!

Chris Hurd April 11th, 2015 08:05 AM

Here's our Hive Lighting video report from last year...

Hive Lighting at DV Info Net