DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 19th, 2015, 05:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

White Balancing two different cameras

Got a question about colour balancing two cameras.

I'm shooting with a xf100 and xa20.

I've tried manual white balance and both camera's give different K readings e.g. 6200 k and 6500 K

Would it be better to white balance to sunlight (5600K) to get the same whites, or allow camera's to manual set even though each gives a slightly different reading?

I'm using 6500K cool daylight balanced fluros indoors
Mark Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 02:18 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: White Balancing two different cameras

The more important question is do the images look the same? It's not unusual for colour temperature readings to differ slightly between cameras, you need to compare the outputs of the cameras to see if they'll cut together.

You should also ensure that the your card is in the same lighting when doing a white balance with two cameras.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 02:24 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: White Balancing two different cameras

Allow both cameras to manual set? You mean auto white balance? Can you describe how you are physical doing it? I assume you have both cameras framed on the same card, filling the screen when you press the button?

Even if both cameras are pointing at the same card and give a different setting when they balance, what do they see? If you have a couple of cables and a monitor with two channels, you can compare them. I'd bet they could be giving exactly the same output colour, but the lenses may have slightly different optical properties meaning slight differences to the internal adjustment.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management