ePhoto 600 LED / Switronix XP-L90S V-Mount 98Wh 14.8 VDC Li-Ion Battery at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 21st, 2015, 05:51 PM   #1
Trustee

ePhoto 600 LED / Switronix XP-L90S V-Mount 98Wh 14.8 VDC Li-Ion Battery

Recently received a set of two of these LED lights:

Amazon.com : ePhoto 600 LED Professional Studio Video Light Panel Photography Lighting Sony V Mount by ePhotoinc CN600SD : On Camera Video Lights : Camera & Photo

and these batteries:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/341314-REG/Switronix_XP_L90S_XPL_90S_V_Type_14_4VDC_Lithium.html
I had a shoot at a convention center (a LARGE convention center) and convention centers are known for locking/hiding outlets - I was not looking forward to dragging not only all the regular equipment around for four days but also 100'+ of A/C cord and wrapping/unwrapping it a thousand times.

Previously I'd been using 1000 LED panels of similar (off-brand) label, along with a couple of 500 LED panels. These had been the mainstays of my light kit, though I do drag around a bunch of other stuff when needed.

The new lights (600 LED) draw 38W - the 1000 LED lights draw 44W, so I believe that although there are less LEDs, the output is similar. At full power, they are not significantly dimmer. The new lights are much more color neutral (at 5600K), the old lights had a significant green spike that you either had to gel for or live with the alien look on the skin.

The 600s come with a hard diffusion - it's a nice soft light with the diffusion in. They also come with a 3200K color correction filter which I have not tried. (Fluorescent and now LED have really converted me to be a 5600K guy.)

Lights are sufficiently stout - mostly metal, very little plastic. I'm a little concerned with the plastic dimmer knob on the back, but we'll see how it goes.

One design flaw is that the battery mount is right in the center - if it were on the top or the bottom, you could put two of these units back to back for storage.

Batteries are simple, 98WH, so you can get almost 2.5 hours of light out of one charge. Lights didn't seem to dim significantly even when battery was approaching 0%.

Overall, really nice lights, great for the price, would buy again.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management