DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old October 14th, 2005, 10:46 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Hardware Flood Lights

I'm sorry if this has been address before I'm feeling too lazy on a friday nite to use the search button.

Why are Video lights so much more expensive than flood light found at your local hardware store? Both use halogen bulbs so what justifies the 500% + markup?

Right now I do ads on the cheap and use clamp lamps with big soft bulbs. I know its crappy but when I shooting an ad in a busy restaraunt I can't set up extensive lighting equipment. I have an assistant hand hold the light in the desired position and shoot. I'm thinking about improving my technique so in the future I can do ads the right way and get paid more.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 10:31 AM   #2
Sponsor: VASST

You can certainly argue that a light fixture is a light fixture, what’s the big deal? One difference is control. Worklights are hard to control because they have no barndoors and are not focusable. You could use them with flags and reflectors but there is just a lot of spill. The other difference is that video lights use bulbs that are the correct color temperature for video. Worklights are usually warmer in color tone. I guess you could correct them with a gel. Many people use worklights as an inexpensive alternative to video lights.

If you want to invest in a inexpensive set of lights Britek’s from Rostronics are a good sensible solution.

~jr
Old October 16th, 2005, 09:36 PM   #3
Major Player

I have used the worklights and you can actually correct the color a bit with white balance and not use a gel.
Old October 17th, 2005, 08:24 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Thx, I just read the sticky thread and browsed similar threads. I need to get that lighting book someone recommended because I really don't know much about lighting (ie using barndoors etc.). When I'm ready to step up to better lighting that looks like a nice setup.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management