DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old October 16th, 2005, 01:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Best lighting choice

Hi everyone. I'm looking for an on camera light for filming in very low light. We're talking about a reception inside at night. Does anyone have any recommendation on a light that compliments the room nicely but not too much like a spot light? And can anyone explain what's the different from a flood light and a fill in light? Thanks
Mike Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 01:17 AM   #2
Major Player

Unless you've got a giant battery belt, you won't be using an on-camera flood light.

Since you're looking for something on-camera, it'll probably get its power from the hot shoe adapter, which is somewhat limited in how much power it can send through a light (I don't know how many watts but not very many). Check that your camera has a powered hot shoe and if it does, look around for video lights. Perhaps B&H (http://bhphotovideo.com/).
Old October 19th, 2005, 10:31 PM   #3
Major Player

I got a Smith Victor SV-950 with a built in diffuser and Dichroic Blue filter for daylight. I got a Bescor 12V 144 Amp hour battery which will power a 35W light for a little over four hours*. Eventualy I'll get the Paglight which can accept several wattage tungsten lights as well as a 20w HMI (daylight) globe, but I've got to save a few bucks to get that and a few Anton Bauer batteries to power my camera as well as a couple of monitors and lights.

Bescor make pretty good Lead Acid batteries. You can get a battery belt, or an over the shoulder style. I put the over the shoulder style in a large Mountain Smith fanny pack that holds a bunch of things like extra tapes, lavs, etc.

I got the option on the battery where you have the cigarette lighter and a four pin XLR connector. That way I have a couple of options. I can also use the battery to power my Sony Monitor.

The Bescor batteries are a good inexpensive alternative, but they are heavy. You can get several good lights by various manufacturers that can plug into a four pin XLR, or cig lighter. Both are fairly universal.

Do some research and look at different lights and batteries. Some Light manufacturers are Pag, Frezzolini, Smith Victor, Bescor, Anton Bauer, Sachtler, Dedolight. Some Battery manufacturers are: Anton Bauer, Pag, Frezzolini, Bescor.

* Divide Amp Hours by wattage and you have your run time. 144 divided by 35W equals 4.2 hours
Old October 19th, 2005, 10:44 PM   #4
Wrangler

Mike,
Anton Bauer has an Ultralight kit. I got to play with a camera that had the Ultralight with softbox and dimmer. Really good for receptions, I would think.
Old October 20th, 2005, 01:43 AM   #5
Major Player

Hey bud,

I have used an Anton-Bauer camera light for years and years on network cams. But the freelance budget now preculdes that equipment. So.....

I was on a 3 camera shoot tonight and one of the other photogs loaned me his Canon camera light, (sorry don't know the model #) with a hot shoe mount AND it's own "on board" battery supply. You would need to purchase the charger as opposed to plugging a belt into the wall, but I'm thinking that's an okay compromise.

It was only 10 watts but that's all I needed in a dark nightclub.

Can't wait to do some internet searching and shopping tomorrow....on the almost maxed out credit card, of course.

Sincerely,

Stephanie
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 12:08 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hey everyone and thanks for the reply. I appreciate all your inputs. I will research them some more. I knew of the brands but dont' know what wattage to use in a dark room and not overload the shot with too much lighting. Thank you all again.
Mike Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 02:25 PM   #7
Major Player

Here's an article I wrote on building your own dimmer for the Anton Bauer Ultralight for $25 in parts. Works like a charm and you can't beat the price!

Check it out: http://www.ctshooter.com/dimmer.html

George
Old November 10th, 2005, 09:15 PM   #8
Major Player

George, great info. I don't have an Ultralight, but some of your MR16 bulb recommendations give me ideas.

Thanks for taking the time to do the measurments- lengthwise and light-wise.

Best,

-M

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management