DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 4th, 2015, 05:45 PM   #1
Major Player

Updated ND Discussion

Hi folks. I'm not a huge user of practical filters because I like to do a lot of that kind of thing in post. The only lens filters I usually by are UV filters just to protect the lens. However I have a 2 week outdoor shoot for a documentary coming up, and I'm expecting quite a bit of bright light. I don't want to lose all the depth of field on my lens by going up to F16 or F22 and adjusting the shutter speed to compensate. While an infinity focus shot looks good sometimes, 200 b-roll shots that have no "magic" doesn't sound appealing.

So here's my question because when I searched for a good ND discussion on the forums I could find it. A.) is there already a whole section on my following question on DVINFO.net and I just didn't find it because the search string ND is too general and shows up in words alot> B.) After doing some research, and also reading the article on here ND color shifts and things of that nature, are there some ND filters in the $100 or less range that are the best? I was just going to get some cheap $10 filters at first, but I did that with my UVs and sometimes I get lens flares I don't want so thought stepping up my budget might be smarter. Then I figured I'd just get a filter that matches my biggest lens and just get adapters for some of my smaller ones.

Either way, is there a particular trusted set that has less color change, or whatever other considerations one needs to consider about ND filters that I should consider getting?
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 06:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Updated ND Discussion

Do you want to spend as little money or do you want to do a good job with the image? You have to know where you can cheap out a little and putting something in front of your lens is absolutely not the place you want to do it, unless you simply don't have strong feelings about how your image looks at the end of the day.

Hoya ProND is a good starter for a set of NDs, I wouldn't go cheaper than that.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 08:19 PM   #3
Major Player

"I have a 2 week outdoor shoot for a documentary coming up, and I'm expecting quite a bit of bright light".

And add another $50 or so for a Hoya Polarizing filter. Even at it's minimal effect setting, it will cut the light by about 1 1/2 stops.
Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 12:11 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
Do you want to spend as little money or do you want to do a good job with the image? You have to know where you can cheap out a little and putting something in front of your lens is absolutely not the place you want to do it, unless you simply don't have strong feelings about how your image looks at the end of the day.

Hoya ProND is a good starter for a set of NDs, I wouldn't go cheaper than that.
Gary, I totally agree. That's why I'm asking sub $100 and not for the best $10 option. While I realize there's $300 options that's unrealistic for me, looking around $100 and down is my way of trying to still get a quality filter. I'll take a look at the Hoya ProND for sure!
Old May 5th, 2015, 12:18 AM   #5
Major Player

Ken, I hadn't thought of that, but now that you mention it, that's a great idea. Might be a silly question but when you have a good ND filter on, is there still as much need as for a circular polarizing filter?
Old May 5th, 2015, 05:03 AM   #6
Inner Circle

A polarizing filter gives a reduction in the light passing through it, but its primary purpose is reducing reflections etc. and you can get side effects as you move camera position relative to the light. It'll do if stuck, but a ND should just do what it says on the tin, although care needs to be applied to your selection because some filters can give a colour cast and at higher densities have IR issues.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 12:05 PM   #7
Major Player

If you are using screw ND filters consider buying a large one for your largest lens then buy stepper rings so you can use it with all your lenses.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:10 PM   #8
Trustee

I personally don't like front mounted filters, non at all. Why? Because the moment you point your lens towards a light source, you'll see internal reflections and flare. Any speck of dust on the filter will also ruin every frame. Some filters may even vignette your wide shots. Internal and rear mounted filters are the best!
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 01:43 AM   #9
Major Player

Donald, I was shooting with a good friend of mine who just did that. That's exactly what he recommended.

Warren, we filmed a bit of footage with a variable ND Filter on a Lumix 25mm today and didn't appear to have any reflective issues. I know I've definitely seen it on the cheapie UV Filters (I always have to pop them off when in super sunny situations at the wrong angle). Perhaps I need to take a closer look, but I know a few folks who use ND filters don't do rear or internal (a concept I've never heard). However do you have a recommendation of a quality ND in that range I could peek at and compare?
Old May 6th, 2015, 02:18 AM   #10
Major Player

Think I'm gonna take your advice and purchase something entry level but respectable (meaning not the $10 range).

Hoya PRO-ND 62mm Variable Neutral Density Filter, 9 Stops
Old May 6th, 2015, 03:47 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Hayes View Post
Perhaps I need to take a closer look, but I know a few folks who use ND filters don't do rear or internal (a concept I've never heard).
Most video cameras have internal ND filters, DSLRs and cinema digital cameras tend not to e.g the Arri Alexa, although their documentary Amira camera does.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 07:28 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
I personally don't like front mounted filters, non at all. Why? Because the moment you point your lens towards a light source, you'll see internal reflections and flare.
Wouldn't that mean that every feature film has been shot incorrectly with front mounted filters? Sometimes then even use more than one!
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 10:35 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I think in the feature film world they think a lot about setup, lighting control, etc - a lot more than run and gun types and normal people can do.When they use front mounted filters they know how to avoid issue.

That said, I seldom to never have problems with front mounted UV/polarizers/etc. And not sure how I'd use a rear mounted polarizer - how do you rotate it for best/desired effect if it's on the back of the lens?
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management