DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old June 13th, 2015, 05:02 PM   #1
Trustee

Comer 1200 and 1800 review

I will keep this review very brief, as I have been ordering multiple different brands and models of LED lighting in an attempt to find something better than my 3200k gelled Neewer CN304 which I use for night ENG.

The Comer 1200 (knock-off rebranded) is a joke. Extremely dim, half the light output of a 900lux Neewer CN160. The swing away spot filter is horrible. You get a green spot, very green, with a very blue ring around it. Cannot think of a single use for such a device.

I just received a used Comer brand 1800, version 2 from eBay. It arrived not functioning. I had to jiggle and hold a battery on it to test it, but 1800lux I think not. It puts out about HALF the illumination of my Neewer 1800lux CN304 LED. With the spot mechanism in place, the colors don'[t change, but it needs that to match the Neewer CN304's light output in wide angle. Both lights are rated at 1800lux, the Comer must advertise it's 1800lux in SPOT mode, because it is slightly (barely) brighter than my old Neewer CN160 which is rated at 900lux.

I also tested the Ledgo Comer type spottable light a few months ago. It was so dim a cndle could outshine it. Still cannot find anything to outshine my Neewer CN304.......NOTHING, no matter the price, can beat this $60 Neewer? :-\

All of my tests were conducted with the OEM CTO's (3200ish) in place.
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2015, 06:29 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Comer 1200 and 1800 review

A little follow up on my Comer 1800 mkII. The seller was abkle to fix the battery pin issue,a dn I have beeen happily using it for a few months now. I really think this is the best ENG LED you can get, battery powered that is. For ENG you NEED to be able to throw some sort of spot. i have a 25x lens on my Sony X180, which also has a 26mm wide angle, and the Comer 1800 is able to flood wider than the lens,a dn also spot enough to match the 25x at full telephoto. It's close to 5000k bare, so I added a lot of Lee gel to make it exactly 3200k, and to correct the green shift. Below are the gels necessary to turn the Comer 1800 mkII into a 3200k LED, as well as some video clips shot with the light in a typical ENG night setting. I think it is very important to light with 3200k illumination, because the bluer your light source and white balance, the more "wrong" things like automobile headlights and other incadescent sources look.

3x 1/8 CTS Straw (Lee 223), along with 3x 1/8 minus green (magenta/pink) were used to get 3200k centered on the vectorscope.

Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management