DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old July 7th, 2015, 05:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

buy cheap buy twice or buy cheap and be happy

hi there,
just a question that I thought to throw out there before I buy a Fiilex kit (202). I was just wondering how well kits hold their value - I know it depends etc... but for example, I have little hesitation buying a top of the range mic as I figure that while technology will move on it will last me a good few years before I should replace but I'm not so sure with lights as I have less experience.
I bought a neewer cn160 a couple of months ago and while the build quality is not great it throws out a good deal of light for run and gun docs and the like - I was then thinking to upgrade to a cineo matchbox but I found it very hard to justify such a spend as I don't see the return v the investment - maybe I am not tuned in here but again I have no prob. laying out the cash for other gear. Am I ignorant to good lighting or do others feel the same-?
So if I invest in say a Fiilex kit now will I be okay for a few years or will some light appear in a years time half the price and with a similar performance? any thoughts would be appreciated.
regards,

Last edited by Barry Hunt; July 7th, 2015 at 05:10 PM. Reason: change of titles
Barry Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 07:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: buy cheap buy twice or buy cheap and be happy

I can't offer much in the way of suggestions until I know what you're shooting. There is no single light instrument that will cover every scenario. I have about a dozen different lights and assemble a kit that is appropriate for the shoot I'll be doing. I've seen the Fiilex in action, they aren't terribly bright, especially once you soften them. The exception being the Q500 and Q1000. These can handle larger softboxes, diffusion, bouncing, etc. If you're looking for budget all-purpose lights, then tungsten fresnels are still a better bang for the buck. If you need battery powered lights, there are other options (namely 1x1 LED panel lights), and if you want a large soft source, then the fluorescent fixtures might be your best option. Different horses for different courses, as they say.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management