DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old September 1st, 2015, 08:00 PM   #1
Trustee

LED fading my LEE gel, what to do?

My Comer 1800 LED is HOT, and it is burning, not melting, but blasting clear patches in my 1/4 minus green LEE gel, clear patches where each LED is shining.

Is there a maybe a high temp alternative, or some other brand that won't fade as easy? I need this to be flat and thin, like the LEE gel. I have cut a bunch of pieces as replacements, but disasembling the LED head is a PITA just to slip the gels in.

Thanks!

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2015, 12:49 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: LED fading my LEE gel, what to do?

One of the hazards of using it virtually touching the LEDs. HT might work a bit longer, but isn't available in that colour. Why not just tape it on the outside and replace it every now and then, it will last longer outside anyway. Gel just isn't made to last, it's disposable.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2015, 06:21 PM   #3
Trustee

The Comer 1800 I use has a condensor that fold down into and up against the clear panel in front of the LED's, for zoom/focus capability. This precludes being able to run a gel taped or otherwise placed over the front of the housing. I guess i will just buy a little screwdriver with a tip specific to the tiny screws that hold the cap on the front of the LED, as to not strip them out over time. Probably have to change them out every month, but huge 2x2 foot gel sheets are onloy like $7, not a huge cost penalty at all. :)

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2015, 12:49 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Not sure I quite get it? Can you not just tape the gel to the lamp housing so the diffuser flips down over it, or failing that, just clip a loop of gel to the barn doors like we used to do with redheads?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2015, 02:27 AM   #5
Trustee

If you google an image of a Comer 1800 LED, you will see that the face of the LED has an indent, and the condensor flips into this. If the gel is warped even a bit, it keeps the condensor from flipping flush against the LED panel, and alters the zoom capability.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management