DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Amazing deal on Litepanels Croma (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/530554-amazing-deal-litepanels-croma.html)

Doug Jensen December 4th, 2015 12:52 PM

Amazing deal on Litepanels Croma

I happened to notice that B&H has Litepanels Croma lights on sale for $189 today. That is an amazing price considering they are usually almost $600. I love these lights and own four of them already plus four of the similar Luma model. Great light if you are in the need for something like this. I use three of them in a very compact run & gun light kit that fits in a pretty small Pelican.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827122-REG/Litepanels_905_4023_Croma_On_Camera_LED_Light.html

Ed Roo December 4th, 2015 08:30 PM

Re: Amazing deal on Litepanels Croma

I saw that this morning and ordered two. I have Luma, so, I too, have a small travel, light kit.

Doug, does the Croma have the same shut down due to heating problem as the Luma?

Doug Jensen December 5th, 2015 08:48 AM

I wasn't aware that either one had a shutdown problem for heat or anything else. None of mine have ever shutdown automatically. How often has that happened to you?

I will say that sometimes the AA batteries and contacts need to me tinkered with to get power when you first turn it on. But once it is running it runs fine.

Ed Roo December 6th, 2015 12:53 AM

If I run the LUMA at 100% it will shut down within 10 minutes and require a couple minutes to cool down. It came with a disclaimer in the package, warning of the problem. I will scan it and post it Sunday.

Bill Ward December 9th, 2015 07:45 AM

My Croma seems to eat batteries fairly quickly at full impulse power, and often has to be opened and the batteries rolled around on the contacts when it starts to flicker. Sometimes this gives significant extra burn time, sometimes it doesn't.

But I love the light output and ability to cram it into small spaces.

Mark Koha December 17th, 2015 11:18 AM

I used one of these for the first time last week. Loved the light output but 6AA batteries starts to add up quick. I went through 24 of em in 3 days.

Jonathan Levin December 17th, 2015 11:29 AM

Looks like the price went up to 349.00US since December 4.

Doug Jensen December 18th, 2015 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Koha (Post 1905398)
I used one of these for the first time last week. Loved the light output but 6AA batteries starts to add up quick. I went through 24 of em in 3 days.

You have to use rechargeable batteries. I use standard consumer AA Energizers from Walmart that come with chargers. A set of six will run a Croma at full power for about 2 hours. I carry 30 of them because I have so many Cromas and Lumas in my kit. Some of the batteries are 3 years old and still going strong. The only downside is that they take several hours to charge. I carry a couple packs of non-rechargables as a backup but I have never had to crack them open.

Steven Davis December 18th, 2015 10:19 AM

Yep, saw this too late. We should have a running 'latest deals' thread I know I started a black Friday thread.

Ed Roo December 21st, 2015 11:09 PM

OH WOW!!!
Got one of my new Croma's out to play with the other day... I am sold on bi-color LED lights!
My 1x1s and ENG are all daylight, and there are some situations where I struggle to get a good skintone white balance.
These little Cromas really do a nice job ob warning up the skintones.
I cannot wait to use them on my next interview.