DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   2 LED Spots or Spot & Flood live news hits? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/531046-2-led-spots-spot-flood-live-news-hits.html)

Peter Newsom January 31st, 2016 03:55 PM

2 LED Spots or Spot & Flood live news hits?

Hi there,
Just picked up a Apurture HR672S led light for doing live broadcast hits in an NHL rink(5500K ambient colour temp). So far I like the light and am considering buying a second to round out my 'hit kit'.

My question is, should it be the HR672W flood model(75º) or another spot(25º). I usually use diffusion to soften the light.

I am also considering the adjustable colour version the HR672C. It only comes in the flood version, and doesn't have maximum power at either end of the 3200/5500K settings. However, the variable colour would be handy at times.

Thoughts?

Ken Plotin January 31st, 2016 04:08 PM

Re: 2 LED Spots or Spot & Flood live news hits?

My thoughts:
Bi-color models only use half the total LEDs for each color, which is why you don't have full power for each end of the spectrum.
Since you generally diffuse the light, I'd go for another spot model...more punch at a given distance. You can always up the diffusion if necessary.
Also you can add a full CTO filter sheet for 3200 use, if needed, and still get a bit more output than a bi-color.

Hope this helps.
Ken

Patrick Baldwin January 31st, 2016 04:42 PM

You might want to lay off the "CTO" panel that comes with the daylight version as well according to this video review.
Aputure LED Light Review: High Quality & Affordable? [VIDEO] - Indie Cinema Academy
I'm please so far with mine. Great colour

Craig Seeman January 31st, 2016 05:55 PM

Interesting diffusion for the 672 series if you're looking for something small.
http://www.aputure.com/EZ-Box+-Softbox-kit(Grid)

Do you need something wide given what you're shooting? The 672s is significantly brighter than the 672w. The 672c even less given the led split.

Ken Plotin January 31st, 2016 11:42 PM

Sorry for any confusion. I'm referring to 85/CTO gel sheets sold by Rosco I use these) or Lee. They are also available in 1/2 and 1/4 strengths. If the 5500k output of your light is fairly accurate, these gel sheets will get you into the 3200k ballpark...plus or minus to taste.
Ken

Peter Newsom February 1st, 2016 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Plotin (Post 1908030)
My thoughts:
Bi-color models only use half the total LEDs for each color, which is why you don't have full power for each end of the spectrum.
Since you generally diffuse the light, I'd go for another spot model...more punch at a given distance. You can always up the diffusion if necessary.
Also you can add a full CTO filter sheet for 3200 use, if needed, and still get a bit more output than a bi-color.

Hope this helps.
Ken

Thanks Ken, I am most likely to go for another spot, but since I usually have my lights at 5-6 feet from the talent, I wonder how much difference there is between the flood and spot models in this particular application.

The bi colour model should be at its strongest at around 4300k, which is a very useful feature in a lot of offices that I have shot in. Whether it would be strong enough for doing the talk backs in the arena is the question. It also depends on how I approach the lighting.

I like either a key with a side/kicker for the fill, or two equal keys at 45°. Depends on what is going on in the arena at the time.

Peter Newsom February 1st, 2016 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Baldwin (Post 1908031)
You might want to lay off the "CTO" panel that comes with the daylight version as well according to this video review.
Aputure LED Light Review: High Quality & Affordable? [VIDEO] - Indie Cinema Academy
I'm please so far with mine. Great colour

Thanks Patrick, I read that review, and I thought it was very good. With my camera, pdw-f350, with the preset WB at 3200k, the CTO panel looks pretty good for flesh tones, maybe a little warm, but easily within range of what I like. It also looks good without the filter at preset 5600. I wish they made a 1/2 CTO panel to get me into the 4300° range as well.

My camera reads the light's colour temperature at 5200, but it tends to read everything a little low, including the lights at the rink, which it see's at 5200K as well. They are also rated at 5500k.

Peter Newsom February 1st, 2016 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 1908035)
Interesting diffusion for the 672 series if you're looking for something small.
http://www.aputure.com/EZ-Box+-Softbox-kit(Grid)

Do you need something wide given what you're shooting? The 672s is significantly brighter than the 672w. The 672c even less given the led split.

Thanks Craig, that softbox looks pretty handy. I will likely get one of those.

The spot pattern falls off pretty fast with this light, but for the live shots I usually use a somewhat loose medium frame so it shouldn't be a problem. If I had two people in the shot, it might get a little dark towards the bottom of the frame, and that's where the wider pattern might come in handy.

Peter Newsom February 2nd, 2016 11:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well I picked up another 672s, to go with the first one. Thanks for the advice from all of you.

I also thought of a cheap and handy way to attach filters to these instruments. Simply mount paper clips to the attachment points on the sides of the light. I went to the hardware store and got some bolts to fit, and some washers. Already had the paper clips.

Seems to work quite well.

Craig Seeman February 6th, 2016 12:14 PM

My concern about 672w specifically is that it's not bright enough to use like other wide panels. At 1 meter the wide is only 2080 lux / 193 foot candles.

If wide is important I'd "almost" think a Westcott Flex 10x10 with battery solution might work. It seems like it might be a bit awkward for what you do though.