My 15 minute video clip with dvx100a - lighting advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old October 23rd, 2005, 07:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

My 15 minute video clip with dvx100a - lighting advice

Here is the clip that i did to learn about lighting. I used 650W Tungsten as key and 650 W Tungsten has fill. But the fill got fused. So i used only one light and did this video with the monitor light.

Please see the clip and tell me what i'm missing.

http://www.old-monk.com/feature.html

thank you,
Hari
Harikrishnan Ponnurangam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2005, 09:39 PM   #2
Major Player

Harikrishnan

In your case, I'm not sure a 650 is necessary for the head shot to begin with, you could get a way with a lot less. (or diffuse it heavily) Also, it's best to get the fill with a bounce board on the opposite side of the key to reflect light back onto the subject's face.
The way it's lit now looks flat and muddy. Also might want to check your aperture and gain.
Placement of the key (45 degrees relative to the subject) is pretty standard but hardly the rule. Get more creative as you learn more and your shot calls for it.
Use a soft background light to help separate your subject from the background.
Also, supplement the computer light with a small fill. I'd even go as far as to tone down the blue somehow and have it punch just enough to indicate that it is a computer light.
Lastly, I'd invest in some books.
Two good ones are Blain Brown's Cinematography:Theory and Practice and an ASC press book called Reflections: twenty one cinematographers.
This will teach you not only lighting but how to frame your shots as well.
We could spend all night and into the morning discussing lighting techniques, but reading and plain going out and just doing it is the best way to go.
Hope that helps.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 10:29 AM   #3
Regular Crew

totally agree

Eric,

Thank you for suggesting the books. I usually do visual effects. I just tried my hand on camera and lighting which didn't go well but i learned a lot just managing the setup. I'm totally confident i will get better.

Hari
Harikrishnan Ponnurangam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 08:18 PM   #4
Major Player

Cool. I use to do special effects back in the day, well, not too far back. Miniature effects photography, building miniatures, sets, etc. I think although they use special effects still, visual effects kind of pushed a lot of that out.
Which is fine as I went to doing concept art for movies and animation, anyway.
Take care and best of luck with the lighting. It's a fun (and endless) craft to learn.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management