Low light nature video in HD at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 6th, 2017, 07:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Low light nature video in HD

I'm starting the process of looking for a wildlife videography cam. I plan on basing the decision of which camera based on the video quality and not the photo quality.

I'm looking for the best low light image quality for HD video. Are there any that stand out in the DSLR cameras? and how would they compare with something like the Cannon XA-10 which is what I'm used to.

What are you guys finding in that realm? or should I post this question in another section of the forum.
Tobin Strickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 12:01 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Low light nature video in HD

You also need to quote your budget.
Old November 7th, 2017, 01:08 PM   #3
Trustee

I am a nature videographer for the past 20 years and shoot in darker places, I have owned the Panasonic HPX170, Panasonic GH4 and currently GH5. Low light IMO is much improved with the GH5 and it is by far my favorite camera. Weight, mobility, 4K 60fps and a wide choice of lenses are significant pluses as well as cost. My gear list is GH5, Panasonic 14-45, 45-175, Olympus 60 macro and 75-300, Benro S6 Tripod, Rhino Slider, Glideshot jib. If I had unlimited funds I would still use the GH5 and trade out the 75-300 lens for the Panasonic/Leica 100-400 and the 14-45 for the Olympus 12-40 . You can view my GH5 work on my video channel posted in my signature.
Old November 13th, 2017, 04:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Budget ... 5-8k for camera and all gear, batts, tripods, lenses, mics, and cases etc.

The description for the camera is four thirds .... I'm assuming that doesn't refer to 4x3 video recording.

Are you sponsored in any way by panasonic? We all know what happens these days on these boards.
Tobin Strickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobin Strickland View Post
The description for the camera is four thirds .... I'm assuming that doesn't refer to 4x3 video recording.
The format of the Panasonic GH5 imager is called M43, or short for Micro 4/3 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_Four_Thirds_system

M43 is a small sensor, which generally means poor low light performance. The GH4, the older version was really bad at anything over ISO 800 although the newer technology in the GH5 means that you can go a bit higher without a penalty in grain. Generally, you would probably obtain better low light performance with a S35 imager or a full frame imager.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management