DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 23rd, 2018, 06:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Simple PVC lighting grid/frame for softboxes

I'm looking to put together a simple lighting grid/frame for one person 3 point lighting using relative light fluorescent softboxes.

I friend recently did the same thing using heavy metal pipe and fittings and realized he could have used PVC since there isn't that much weight on it.

It seems you can get PVC and PVC fittings/joints on amazon, or home depot, wherever. I googled around about this and there's lots of forum posts about doing it and how it's possible, but nothing more specific than that.

I'd be curious if people here had suggestions for a plan and suggestions on materials, ie whether 2" PVC would work for the types of clamps that could be put on softboxes, and also what kind of clamps the softboxes would need in order to be compatible with a 2" or whatever size PVC.

Would love suggestions and ideas!
David Pakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2018, 06:28 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: Simple PVC lighting grid/frame for softboxes

Is this for mobile use or some kind of semi-permanent installation in a "studio" style setup? Suspended from a ceiling?
Old May 24th, 2018, 06:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

it would be for a semi permanent setup. i was thinking of it not suspended from the ceiling but built as a sort of box or C-shaped frame that would stand on its own.
Old May 24th, 2018, 06:44 AM   #4
Vortex Media

I'm taking a whole bunch of Chimera and Photoflex softboxes and Lowel lights to the dump on Saturday morning. If you want to drive down to Rhode Island today or tomorrow to pick them up you are welcome to have them all for free.
Old May 24th, 2018, 06:45 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks! I actually don't need any lights at this time but rather a plan for putting together this PVC grid/frame
Old May 24th, 2018, 03:44 PM   #6
Vortex Media

So I ended up calling a local vocational school today about my Lowel lights and they came and picked them all up along with stands, softboxes, cases, and much more. It's good to see they'll get some use by students instead of taking up space in a land fill.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management