DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old July 12th, 2018, 04:54 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Flickering DJ Uplighting

So, I finally ran into flickering uplights. I ran two cameras, one in 30p and one in 60p at 60fps and the flickering is in both. Which I swear I never saw in my VF. Sigh.

What I've tried:

I've tried the duplicate clip in FCPX, move it over a frame, reduce the top clip to 50%, that didn't fix it. I've tried Seed De-Flicker, that helped a little, then I tried to install DIgital Anarchy's plug in but it's not installing correctly. https://digitalanarchy.com/index.html

The flickering I'm dealing with is only on the uplighting. Which I swear I never saw in my VF. Sigh. I could use some help or advice. Here is a sample of the 30p converted. https://www.dropbox.com/home/Video/delete%20flicker

Thank in advance. I could really use some help.
Old July 12th, 2018, 06:58 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Flickering DJ Uplighting

Update:

It appears the Free Flicker plugin from Digital Anarchy is going to fix most of the flicker on the up-lighting. I'll just need to apply it to all the reception footage.

I called Canon and asked them about C200 since the XF300 has more shutter types. Canon said there's a chance I didn't see it in the VF and that I would only see the flicker if I played back the footage. I thought I read somewhere that most VFs don't show everything such as a flicker. But I'm not sure.

Either way, it appears the Digital Anarchy plugin is going to get it done. Since this is my first time in fourteen years having issues with up lighting, I'm going to find out the uplighting model from the DJ and do some more research so I know to do more testing in the future.

Last edited by Steven Davis; July 13th, 2018 at 09:23 AM.
Steven Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 09:13 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
Here is a sample of the 30p converted. https://www.dropbox.com/home/Video/delete%20flicker
FYI, that link only works for you. In the future, from within Dropbox, you would need to click on the Share icon and create a shareable link
Vince Pachiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 09:23 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks Vince. For what it's worth, the link is https://www.dropbox.com/s/p87o2bbho3...0Clip.mov?dl=0
Old July 13th, 2018, 11:33 AM   #5
Inner Circle

The trouble is that uplighter are now pretty bright - and overpower the overall look - so people are starting to turn them down in level - especially when in Blue or red. Flicker is then pretty much guaranteed. No real solution apart from turn up the brightness. I notice my flip out viewfinder shows flicker better than the black and white proper V/F.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 11:38 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks Paul,

I've never seen flicker before, and I've seen some pretty crappy lighting out there over the past fourteen years. I'll definitely add this to my paranoia list.
Old July 16th, 2018, 08:17 PM   #7
Trustee

read up on Pulse Width Modulation - that's the problem with some LED lighting. I've used a Red Giant filter in the past but can't seem to find it now
Old July 16th, 2018, 11:23 PM   #8
Equal Opportunity Offender

Worst case scenario, pass it off as them having some of those winter gas flame warmer things in the far corner. :-)

Ultimately, come to the crunch, it's not something you can be responsible for but naturally we all do our best because we care enough on behalf of the client.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2018, 09:15 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post
read up on Pulse Width Modulation - that's the problem with some LED lighting. I've used a Red Giant filter in the past but can't seem to find it now
I ended up using Free Flicker from Digital Anarchy. It definitely minimized it in most cases. The effectiveness appears to be related to how defined the flicker is, the stronger and more defined the light is, the less it was able to completely get rid of it. But the plugin worked better on the softer less defined light.

Thanks for everyone's input, Now I'm going to be super paranoid. I've never had a problem in al my years with up lighting. sigh.
Old July 20th, 2018, 06:15 PM   #10
Inner Circle

This was my final highlight.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management