DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 6th, 2005, 10:06 PM   #1
New Boot

How to mount a light on the ceiling?

In watching the "behind the scenes" clips on movies I rent, I see that, many times, flourescent fixtures are mounted in the corner where a wall and the ceiling meet - like above a window where crown molding goes. Anyone know how this is done? I know they don't use stands. I always have a need to mount lighting in a ceiling corner.

Thanks!
Ben Whitley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 07:51 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Scissor clamps usually.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 08:29 AM   #3
New Boot

Interesting... how do scissor clamps hold a light in a corner?
Ben Whitley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 01:49 PM   #4
Major Player

Scissor clamps with an attached baby pin are used with acousting drop-ceilings (like you see in offices, etc.). You just have to make sure that the clamp is close to one of the wires connecting the drop-ceiling to the real ceiling.

There are also suction mounts with a pin that can hold lightweight units. If you're not going to be seeing the ceiling there are always wall spreaders...

The only problem with the suction cups is there isn't necesarily going to be a point to attatch a safety cable to the unit.
Old November 8th, 2005, 02:35 PM   #5
Major Player

There is also a rig made from a wide putty knife that has a 5/8" spud coming off the handle. You jam the blade between the molding and the plaster ceiling and hope it stays put.
Old November 8th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #6
DVCreators.Net

The Lowel Space clamp does a great job at hooking onto doorways, doors and anything else you that you can hook onto. I wouldn't put it on ceiling tiles with a heavy light though and you'll need to be careful about "indenting" soft wood and plaster - it has a mighty grip.
Check it out at http://www.lowel.com/clamps.html
Old November 8th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #7
Wrangler

Often 2x4's are mounted above the molding via clamping hardware (like a wall stretcher but without the potential for collapse that the spring-loaded version presents) and then a plate is screwed into the 2x4. Kinos are not the heaviest fixture but you must assure a positive support for safety--I certainly wouldn't trust them to a putty knife clamp.
Old November 13th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #8
New Boot

A way to use flo's on walls or ceilings where there's nothing to attach them to or no room for a fixture is to just gaffer tape the tubes to the surface. A local gaffer showed me this trick where we had a scene with 2 actors across a counter with very low ceilings. The director wanted a wide shot with a dolly move. There was no room for a fixture, and bouncing light off the ceiling would have ruined a moody shot. We took the tubes out of a 4' Kino and taped them to the ceiling above the counter, between the actors. It was quick and looked great.
Peter Rummel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 10:57 PM   #9
Wrangler

Mmm, indeed Pete I had forgotten that. You can also run some 2" paper tape or blackwrap off the ceiling to act as a cutter of sorts to prevent spill all over the ceiling on one or both sides.
Old November 16th, 2005, 01:05 PM   #10
Major Player

Use Permacel Paper tape. The matte black stuff is best. The semi matte, that says "PH Neautral" inside on the paper core is not the right stuff. It should just say Permacel. I think it's the #743 black paper tape.

I have taped up just the Kino lamps and harness to the ceiling. I just check it every now and then, to make sure that it's not peeling off. You can also make a sort of barndoor with the paper tape too.

Hang Duvetyne teasers, also with paper tape, to help control where the light goes, or doesn't go.

Never use regular gaffer tape on walls, or ceilings, you'll pull the paint and part of the sheet rock off, if you aren't careful. You should also be careful when taking the paper tape off too. If possible tape to painted wood. Never tape to wallpaper, you'll tear it right off, or just the top surface, which is impossible to hide.

Tabbing tape, in general, is helpful and makes pulling it off easier.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management