DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 19th, 2005, 05:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Question about Britek kit

Hello friendly DVInfo users. I don't post much on here but appreciate all the good advice I read every day. Now I am here to post a question.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Britek kit from the one and only, Rostronics. I like this one: http://www.rostronics.com/proddetail...=1500Wfull3kit

I'm planning to shoot a small program indoors that will have one to two hosts, standing with a small table between them (1.5-2' max).

I plan on adding a second softbox and using one as a key. I think the second could act as a fill when there is one person, or as a second key when there are two people, utilizing reflectors as fill light. I'll use the 200watt with a taller stand as a back/hair light, but might need to invest in a second one for shots with the two hosts.

How does this plan sound? I've worked on some shoots helping with lighting, but I am by no means an expert. I have a friend who has more experience than I that will be helping out, but I wanted to check on here first.

Also, I'm confused whether or not to upgrade to the focusable heads. I've read conflicting views on here. I think it would be nice to be able to use them with just barn doors and be able to focus it, but maybe not? Hopefully somebody has some insight.

Lastly, will a 650watt in a softbox work as a decent key? I know the softbox will take a lot of light away, but I hope the 650watts will be enough power to work out.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any insight into this difficult decision is appreciated.
www.xedgehosting.com
Jeffery Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2005, 06:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Here are a couple of threads from DVXUSER.com as well as a quote from one of the posts in the second thread. Search for Rostronics in the lighting forum and you'll come across a lot of information.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V3/showthread...ght=rostronics

http://www.dvxuser.com/V3/showthread...ght=rostronics

"The GY-650 light is a much better light than the 300/600.. the 650 is a well designed, solid, cine-style light, where the switching 300/600 is just more of a glorified worklight. the GY605 is round so scrims work like they are supposed to, the 300/600 is square so there is a little bleed if you use round scrims. (I dont know, maybe someone makes sqaure scrims)

I would advise against the non-focusing as well, focusing doesnt just change the output, it modifies the spread. Scrims have worked for 50 years for a reason, they are a very quick way to directly modify lumens, and you can use things like half scrims etc to get fancy."

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management