DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 28th, 2005, 04:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

one flood/spot dimmable light?

don't know why the search function isn't working again for me, but hope someone can help..

looking for a single light setup for interior evening/night filming (not on-camera, I have the Paglight for that and it's great for vox pops etc., need something a lot more substantial - long range filming, maybe 50ft away from subject)

safety's important as public around so very hot bulb could be a problem, plus any recommendations for a very sturdy stand setup, maybe weights?

I have a dedo setup for interviews etc., but in some situations need just a big old source which I can throw up quickly!

thanks for any help.
Gary Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 08:45 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Fifty feet is a pretty long throw for an interior... are you shooting in a gymnasium?

Seriously. Remember that light falls off at the inverse square of the distance. If you want to throw a 'soft' light fifty feet, you have to be up above 1k at the least. So look at lights that throw that, and possibly a soft box option. (Which, again, will cut down on your output) Fresnels will give you more controll then open faced, but cost more.

Heavy duty stands are the way to go. A c-stand with weights is good. But in a heavily populated setting, don't leave the light 'unattended' as sure as sunday, someone will knock it over.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 10:23 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks, yeah I think I need that throw so that I have the option of wide shots without the light in shot. I've also got a Manfrotto magic arm and clamp which should be good in place of a stand in some cases and probably safer too(?)
Old November 28th, 2005, 11:13 AM   #4
Major Player

Hey Gary

youre gonna need something like a 575w or maybe 1200w HMI plus ballast to reach that kind of distance and be cool, plus a big manfrotto stand (4m?) to carry maybe 15kg, plus if your shooting indoors you will need some CTO.

thats quite a throw away from running 100w Dedo's

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 01:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks guys. just seen as auction for a pair of 800W redheads w/heavy duty stands ending in an hour and I've bid..fingers crossed...what do you reckon of the choice?
Old November 28th, 2005, 01:21 PM   #6
Major Player

http://www.arri.com/prod/lighting/06...wid=L1.76700.0

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management