Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old December 28th, 2005, 07:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Where to byt lighting in Australia

Hi all,

I starting to build up a light kit/collection but when looking at places here in australia they all mainly supply the top brands that are just way out my budget.

I noticed the Rostrinics lights from another post I was wondering if there was somewhere in australia that offered simliar products and that kind of price.

cheers
sean
Sean Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2006, 02:32 PM   #2
Trustee

It's pretty easy to build your own fluro lights, if they'll meet your needs. Also have a look on eBay, there's a guy in Melbourne selling a 6 x 55W fluro light that's quite well built for around $500, we've bought one and it's fine.
If you want something of better build we sell the Lupo range down here, you'll find them at www.digihire.com.au
Apart from the HMI Lupo all the above lights use the Osram Studioline 55W tubes and Osram's matching electronic ballasts. The ballasts can be had in either dimmable or non dimmable version. I've also used the Osram Lumilux tubes which give slightly less light per watt but have a higher rendition index.
If you're in Sydney Prolamps at Parramatta can get all the Osram tubes, sockets, tube clips and ballasts etc.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 06:29 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Any luck with this Sean?

I'm in the same situation. My setup at the moment is very basic - worklights and 2 of those energy efficient bulbs in a Chinese lantern as a softlight (they draw 48 watts each but put out 240 - not too shabby). Definately time to upgrade, though the budget is limited. I see there's affordable lights at videoguys (Ianiro) but other options would be nice.

We don't seem to have many options in Oz - it's almost cheaper to buy from the States, even considering the huge shipping costs.

Thoughts anyone?
Steve Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 08:06 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Steve.

I have used these lamps in old portrait-photographer's photofloods (Photax), which use the edison screw lamp fitting.

To get the big ones to fit you have to take the collar off the lightglobe holder or trim it down to enable to lamps to screw fully home. Trimming down is essential as it does not leave a live surface for prying fingers to touch.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 07:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Bob.

I'm wanting to move away from the DIY approach. Trying to control hard light and making a practical and reasonably powerful soft light (500+) has just become too much of a chore, so I'm going to buy something professional, ready made.

There are plenty of affordable options on US websites - it just doesn't seem to be the same in Oz.
Old January 7th, 2006, 04:06 AM   #6
Trustee

Steve,
well we sell the Lupo fluros but I sure wouldn't call them cheap and we're not making a killing on them either. Cost of transport from Europe adds a fair bit and as we've found importing stuff that's large from the USA can have the same issues, assuming you can find something there that'll run off 240V.
Checkout this guy on eBay http://stores.ebay.com.au/a-studio4y...Q3amesstQQtZkm
He usually has a 6 x 55W fluro light for around AUD 600, we've bought one and the build quality looks quite good, no dimming but you can switch tubes on and off in groups of two.
At the price he's charging I couldn't buy the tubes and ballasts so it's a good deal.
Sure it's not a KinoFlo but nor is the price and it will give you a soft light source that's cool. If you want to have a look at one before you buy you're more than welcome to have a look at the one we've bought.
Old January 7th, 2006, 05:52 AM   #7
Regular Crew

There are no cheap places for film lighting in australia ,I have checked every avenue.Even a basic set of gulivers costs over a grand.Our market is just too small for retailers to keep large stocks of film lighting.Its about supply and demand .Also you'll probably go grey waiting for secondhand ones to come on the market.Pick them up overseas or continue using DIY systems if you don't want to pay the big dollars.
Joe Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 07:28 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Joe, that's the impression I was getting. Time to start saving the pennies methinks!
Old January 8th, 2006, 03:53 PM   #9
Regular Crew

And thanks for your help too Bob.

Guys, I've come across this kit on Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1-000-Watt-Co...QQcmdZViewItem

A quick question...these lights are rated at 1000w, however the seller suggests that they are "ideal for shots of small to medium sized subjects like crafts, toys, tools, jewelry..." etc. Would the output on these be less than a standard 1k light? The price is right and the barndoors are cheap. Am I missing something?

Thanks again,

Steve
Old January 9th, 2006, 09:43 AM   #10
Trustee

Steve,
I looked at these sometime ago. Only downside is they're fan cooled, that might or might not be an issue for you. The fans aren't that nosiy but still it's there.
He still hasn't got any of the fluro lights for sale, he should have them back soon, they're definately the go. Keep in mind that with the fluro lights you can change the tubes to have either daylight or tungsten, very convenient, no heat etc. Only problem with fluro lights is they're useless as a point light source, usually not a problem, quite the opposite. The light from our monster Kino 800 is just awesome. really wraps around the subject but it's one very big light.
If you want to have a look at the fluro light we've got one in the shop, give me a call, I'm usually there Mondays and Fridays, number is on our website, ask for Bob.
Old January 10th, 2006, 04:07 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks Bob, that's very forthcoming of you. Rostronics will be able to cover all of my needs - they ship worldwide too. I'll keep you in mind in future.
Steve Madsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management