DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   May seem obvious to state but.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/57769-may-seem-obvious-state-but.html)

Declan Smith January 8th, 2006 04:32 AM

May seem obvious to state but....

I have recently purchased a set of britek lights from rostronics. I know this is a very totally obvious thing to state, but having tried messing around with worklamps, photoflood lamps and the like, I had that "Ureka" moment with these lights. Total control and flexibilty of the light. Barndoors make all the difference to controlling the light. I should have bit the bullet ages ago.

I have bought many accessories for my setup, some good, some bad and some a complete waste of money (cheap stabalisers in particular!!), but wish I had prioritized my purchases earlier on. I would recommend the following.

1. Camera
2. Tripod (with a decent head)
3. Lights
4. All the other stuff

Like I say, it may seem obvious, but I just wanted to share my experience!

Graham Bernard January 8th, 2006 05:33 AM

Ditto!

After begging and borrowing light kit, and having some spare "dosh" after a well paid job, I made the plunge and added to my £23 Quid WICKES work-light and invested in the just 2 lights. A 300w Rifa in a medium softie, a Dedo Light Double Aspheric Lens, Lamp and Barndoors. But the killer control device HAS to be the actual sliding controller in-line block. Fantastic! Yup the barn doors etc etc .. . but for me - one-bloke-and-a-camera - is the sliding controller/dimmer. AND and and the reflectors too.

Lights and audio .. oh yes . . not obvious! Wasn't to me 3 years back. Hey ho . . one lives and learns . ..

. . and yes, totally agree . ..

Grazie

Joe Barker January 8th, 2006 05:39 AM

Hi Graham ,what did the lights cost in the UK, and where can I pick a set up?
I have to make a trip there in June ,and need a couple of lights for a doco I will be filming.

Robin Davies-Rollinson January 8th, 2006 05:41 AM

I was very impressed with the little Dedolights that some of my colleagues were using, so I bought myself a kit. You are so right about the control with the online dimmers - and the quality of the light! It will actually let you throw shadows with it, as well as being able to soften it with diffusers. I like the sound of the Rifalight - must get round to buying one soon.
I also keep a few Ianiro Redheads (800watt) which can be useful for bounce lighting, or direct at a distance.

Robin

Graham Bernard January 8th, 2006 05:54 AM

Wow! 800 watts . .massive reeeespekt Robin! get a Rifa . . there are gorgeous . .. and give me your MATT box! Well at least the rails . . hee hee . . Robin you gotta a sopurce for cheapo rails?

Here yah goes on the London based firm. Prokit, they are in West London dead easy to get to. If yah needs a lift to and from I'd love to oblige. Great firm, lodsa kit . . .

http://www.prokit.co.uk/

Prices? Well, you'll see their site.

Personally they have already made their money and some - they don't owe me anything.

Grazie

Declan Smith January 8th, 2006 07:06 AM

The kit I got from rostronics consists of the following:

2 x 650W
2 x 300W
1 x 1000w with softbox

All with focus control & barndoors, £500 including delivery from the US!

Only got bulbs for the 650W at the moment, waiting for local delivery on the others (isn't the UK just great!)

The 1000W may seem an overkill, but I will be using that for simulating sunshine through windows & for softlight etc etc.

Next on my hitlist is a mattebox. These seem quite expensive. I need one on rails as I have various lens options. XL2 20x & 3x WA (72mm), fujinon 14x Manual (62mm), and the SG35 35mm adapter which uses FD lenses (52mm).

May not find one that suits all the above, any suggestions would be appreciated. As for a rail support system, the SG35 comes with one that uses 15mm rods.