DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   two questions about do-it-yourself lighting (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/58118-two-questions-about-do-yourself-lighting.html)

Steve Witt January 12th, 2006 08:11 AM

two questions about do-it-yourself lighting

#1) Is Gaf tape the same as electricians tape at the hardware store or is it something completely different?

#2) Does any one know about those household light bulbs called "Reveal" where they are supposed to give out a filtered light to expose true colors?
Would it be better to choose these bulbs or is it a waste of extra money because the white balance takes care of this adequately?

Ok, thats actually three questions.

Richard Alvarez January 12th, 2006 08:50 AM

Steve,
No Gaffers tape is NOT the same as Duct Tape/Electricians Tape. Duct tape will leave horrible sticky gum on carpets floors and walls, whereas Gaffers tape will come up clean (comparitively). There IS a difference.

Not sure about the REVEAL bulbs, not familiar with them. But COLOR TEMPERATURE is what you are looking for in matching sources.

Mike Teutsch January 12th, 2006 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Witt
#1) Is Gaf tape the same as electricians tape at the hardware store or is it something completely different?

#2) Does any one know about those household light bulbs called "Reveal" where they are supposed to give out a filtered light to expose true colors?
Would it be better to choose these bulbs or is it a waste of extra money because the white balance takes care of this adequately?

Ok, thats actually three questions.

Gaffers tape is just about the same as duct tape, except that it has a less aggressive adhesive so that it is easier to remove and leaves little or no residue. It can be purchased in many colors including some keying colors.

I just put 4 new Reveal bulbs in my living room to try them out. The light is supposed to be more like daylight, but it is hard for me to tell the differance. I'm sure it is there, just did not test it at all.

As far as the expense goes, they are now about the same as other bulbs in price. I think I paid $1.95 for 4 pack of 60w bulbs, so worth a try.

Otherwise white balance would work just as well, especially if you are mixing types of light.

Hope this helps, and I'm sure others will give you more info.

Mike

Kevin Spotts January 12th, 2006 08:54 AM

The "Reveal" bulbs produce a blue-ish light compared to standard bulbs which is a closer approximation to the color temperature of daylight. The bulbs can be very useful for situations where you have daylight streaming in through a window and you have a practical light, such as a desklamp, in the shot as well. Replacing the standard light bulb with a "Reveal" bulb will more closely match the color of the light coming in through the window so you don't end up in a situation where you have mixed lighting.

On a personal note, I really do prefer the lights from the "Reveal" bulbs, and have them in a couple rooms in my house.

Walter Graff January 12th, 2006 01:07 PM

Quote:

Gaffers tape is generally sold in 2 inch wide rolls. The adhesive is less clingy which means it can be removed easier than the other types household tape. And gaffers tape is made with cloth like fibers so it is strong but does not have a uniform backing meaning it can be easily ripped in both directions.

Quote:

Reveal bulbs have a special ingredient in the glass called neodymium which creates a bit of a blue cast. The company that makes the says it is nicer light than the yellower standard bulbs. Frankly it will make little difference for you because as you said one you white balance, it makes little difference.

A good halogen bulb will give you more light output and slightly bluer than standard bulbs will.

Steve Witt January 12th, 2006 02:40 PM

Can you buy Gaffers tape at a hardware store? Where is this stuff sold?
Thanks for all the help.

Marcus Marchesseault January 12th, 2006 02:58 PM

Gaffers tape is not at the hardware store. It is found online at "grip supply" stores. It is sometimes found in the "consumables" section. It costs about $15-$20 per roll. The differences I see between gaffers and duct tape are in both the glue and backing. Think of gaffers tape as "post-it" duct tape. The glue is less aggressive on surfaces and can often be re-positioned. It sticks very well to it's own backing, so it is strong wrapped all the way around an object. It is usually in a flat black finish, so it conceals better than black duct tape. The one place I like to use duct tape is on carpet. I haven't had any problems with quality duct tape leaving glue on carpet. It seems that gaffers tape is not quite strong enough to securely fasten cables down to carpet. Also, for long cable runs on carpet, duct tape will cost a lot less if you need to run from one side of a ballroom to a booth in the back.

Adam Keen January 12th, 2006 05:33 PM

Duct tape is MUCH stickier. Gaf tape is MUCH more expensive.

Reveal lights aren't going to be 5600K bulbs. It will reduce some of the orange/red in incandescent bulbs.

Bill Ball January 13th, 2006 08:05 AM

If you cant get (or dont want to spring for) gaffers tape, try plaing old paper masking tape or it's wider cousin, painters masking tape, instead. Obviously not strong at all, but neither is gaffers tape. I use masking tape a lot. If it is strong enough for the use, it is far less hassle than duct tape (which pretty much always makes a mess). In fact when I want something strong and especially somewhat heat resistant I use metal tape made for HVAC systems -- again far less messy than duct tape and very tough.

Personally I think Reveal bulbs give off a strange, almost purplish color. I would also go with halogens instead to whiten up a practical light a bit.

Guy Godwin February 5th, 2008 03:46 PM

I found some GE Reveal/Halogen bulbs today. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Heiko Saele February 10th, 2008 05:09 AM

In Germany you can get tape very similar to gaffers tape (if not the same) in every hardware store. Some people call it "panzer tape" ("tank tape") because it seems to be used in the army for different purposes (I guess). It's made with cloth fibres as well and can be ripped in both directions - no big difference (except there is a little difference between every brand of tape)