DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 15th, 2006, 09:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

please help!

I am shooting a scene in a high school bathroom tomorrow. I just got the location for tomorrow and, like an idiot, forgot to ask if there are grounded outlets in the bathroom. I am using an arri 650 and arri 1k.
If they have outlets that aren't grounded, are there any special extension cords/adapters to buy at a hardware store? Are there any other quick solutions?
Like I said, I just secured the location today and have to shoot tomorrow at 9AM!
This is obviously my first time doing this. Thanks
James Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 10:35 PM   #2
Inner Circle

If the H.S. is at all recent construction grounded outlets are speced in the building codes. Probably at least the last 20 years. If recent construction each circuit should be 20amps - this may mean 20amps total available in the bathroom, which conservatively means up to 2000watts of light. If not so recent, they might be 15amps, meaning a conservative 1500watts of light

If they're not grounded, first choice would be grounded extension cords to outlets that are grounded. You'll want 14ga. extension cords for short runs, 12ga. for longer. You'll certainly find 14 and you might find 12 at your local Home Depot.

With 1650 watts, you might be using extension cords to a nearby classroom anyways. An outlet in a classroom across the hall is more likely to be on a different circuit.

A school custodian will be *very* helpful in figuring this stuff out. They tend to know their school pretty well. It's always good to have access to circuit breaker panels in a shooting situation like this. In a school, they're likely in a locked closet or behind a locked cabinet door. For that matter, many light switches will be locked in a H.S.

I'd suggest that you walk through with a custodian at 9am on the dot, knowing where your nearest Lowes or Home Depot is and maybe having someone with you who can run for supplies while you set up. Smaller hardware stores and many cine rent companies will be closed for the MLK holiday. There's a great theatrical lighting rental company in the area of the stadium south of downtown Seattle whose name is escaping me right now - if they're open and you're nearby you could rent some 12ga. cable inexpensively.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 10:38 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Klatt
I am shooting a scene in a high school bathroom tomorrow. I just got the location for tomorrow and, like an idiot, forgot to ask if there are grounded outlets in the bathroom. I am using an arri 650 and arri 1k.
If they have outlets that aren't grounded, are there any special extension cords/adapters to buy at a hardware store? Are there any other quick solutions?
Like I said, I just secured the location today and have to shoot tomorrow at 9AM!
This is obviously my first time doing this. Thanks

James,

Do you mean that the receptacles at the school do not have a ground lug hole in them? If you do, go the hardware store and get an adapter. You might get one that is for converting a two receptacle outlet into say a four or six opening one, and then just snip off the grounding lugs.

There are single adapters too, but they are getting much harder.

Just remember to watch for water etc., because there will be no grounding wire and no ground fault interrupters.

Good Luck---Mike
Old January 15th, 2006, 10:45 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch

...and then just snip off the grounding lugs.
Not a good practice. Some house electricians and lighting companies won't hesitate to cut the end off any cable they find with a snipped ground, and for good reason. It exposes you, your crew, your subjects and any set visitors to increased risk and you to increased liability.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice guys!
James Klatt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management