Frezzi Mini-Fill with Dimmer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 30th, 2006, 12:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Frezzi Mini-Fill with Dimmer

Can anyone tell me from experience, who uses a Frezzi Mini-Fill light with dimmer at full power, using a 35w bulb, how much battery time you are getting from a NP1 style battery?

Nicd = 28 w/h what runtime?
Nimh = 50 w/h what runtime?

I know the calculated time I should be getting, but I want to know what you guys are actually getting.

Thanks,
Eric
Eric Holloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 10:06 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I hope someone has some answers here...
Old February 2nd, 2006, 12:13 PM   #3
Major Player

I get about 20 minutes

I have the Frezzi Mini-Fill w/dimmer and I use the Frezzi (FNP-1S) 12volt 28watt battery pack. I get about 20 minutes but that's using a 50watt bulb.
Douglas Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 12:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Call
I have the Frezzi Mini-Fill w/dimmer and I use the Frezzi (FNP-1S) 12volt 28watt battery pack. I get about 20 minutes but that's using a 50watt bulb.
Do you get 20 minutes of FULL BRIGHTNESS or is the light going dim at 20 minutes?
Old February 2nd, 2006, 04:39 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Holloway
Do you get 20 minutes of FULL BRIGHTNESS or is the light going dim at 20 minutes?
I get 20 minutes of FULL BRIGHTNESS or there may be a little fall of, but shortly there after you see a noticeable fall off and then after an interval just turns off.

I ordered a new Frezzi battery pack today that will extent my time another 7 or so minutes. I hope to get around 30 minutes. I'm sure with the new Frezzi battery (Frezzolini FRNPX2 NP-X2) you would get 30 full minutes with a 34 watt light bulb.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 05:58 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I've done some testing with my Frezzi mini fill with dimmer using a 35watt bulb. I was using a 50watt bulb and was getting about 20 minutes also. I wanted to extend the battery time so that's why I use 35watt bulbs now. I also about 4 NP1s batteries and 1 NP NiMH battery. I also bought an IDX400 4 slot sequential fast charger which I take to events with me. Now it seems I get about 40+ minutes or so of light from the 28wh batteries and about an hour+ of light from the 50wh NiMH battery. Plus I'm cycling the batteries on the IDX400 so I never run out of light. I guess that's overkill but I'd rather have unlimited light than have the change to run out of light in case I needed it.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 07:31 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Holloway
I've done some testing with my Frezzi mini fill with dimmer using a 35watt bulb.
I also have the Frezzi Micro-fill dimmer with 35 watt bulb. That one should last about 45 minutes with my new Frezzi battery. This Frezzi is for the Sony PD 170, its very light weight.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 08:21 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I just received my new Frezzi Micro fill with dimmer today via ups from B&H. It's an awesome light and will compliment my second camera GL2 :)
Old February 2nd, 2006, 09:45 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi Eric,

I use the mini-fill with the 35watt bulb with a dedicated idx 50watt np1 and get around an hour of use, but I rarely have to use it full up..
John Hartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 10:06 AM   #10
Major Player

Quick question - how does the Frezzi mini-fill attach to your cameras?

will it attach to any cam, if so, how ? cold-shoe mount?
Am specifically thinking of mounting on Sony A1.

thanks in advance guys
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #11
Major Player

Mini-Fill on shoe mount adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes
Quick question - how does the Frezzi mini-fill attach to your cameras?
Just slide it on the cold/hot shoe mount of your camera with the provided hot shoe adapter. You can either power the unit with an external battery or get a p-tap cable for you camera battery (assuming you have a brick type camera battery)
Old July 24th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #12
Machinist Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Call View Post
Just slide it on the cold/hot shoe mount of your camera with the provided hot shoe adapter. You can either power the unit with an external battery or get a p-tap cable for you camera battery (assuming you have a brick type camera battery)
I just use that cold shoe adapter atop my XL1. My frezzi has a cigarette lighter-style plug to connect to my Bescor and other brand 12V battery packs.

Now I have a question: Does anyone have a good source for LED replacement bulbs to fit the Frezzi in place of the original halogen? I want to gain the benefits of LED (daylight color balance vs. tungsten, and greatly reduced power consumption), without having to give up using my Frezzi in favor of some less-proven lighting instrument.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management