DynaPhos Softbox with Ianiro Lilliput 650W lamps at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 7th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #1
Inner Circle

DynaPhos Softbox with Ianiro Lilliput 650W lamps

Just read this interesting thread http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...naPhos+Softbox.

It discusses the merits of the DynaPhos Softbox with Lowell lights.

I wonder if anyone has any experience of this softbox with Ianiro Lilliput 650W's.

a. Any good?
b. Does it fit or will I need a further adapter?
c. What size do I need (or does this depend on what I'm trying to light - I'm looking for a soft fill)?
d. Is the softbox going to cause toppling problems with the lightweight Manfrotto stands that came supplied with the lights?

Hope someone can help me out with some advice or some alternatives.

Many thanks.

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #2
Major Player

a. Any good?

The Dynaphos are fairly well made, very similar in design to the Photoflex Silverdome. The Dynaphos are much heavier and stiffer than the Photoflex.
The photoflex are also double diffused, Dynaphos is not.

b. Does it fit or will I need a further adapter?

I bought the Extra Large Softbox used on eBay for $15 and the Extra Small used for $10. For that little money I was very pleased. I don't think I would buy new. Amvona shipping also seems high to me. I needed to replace two
rods in my box. The rods were free, but shipping was almost $14.

It fit the speedring I all ready had.

Tips for repairs or parts: Avoid the toll free number unless you have an extention. You will be on hold forever. I finally found out customer service is 1-866-283-6591 x185 or
x194 and got right through.

c. What size do I need (or does this depend on what I'm trying to light - I'm looking for a soft fill)?

It does depend on what your trying to light. General rule, the larger the box, the softer the light.

d. Is the softbox going to cause toppling problems with the lightweight Manfrotto stands that came supplied with the lights?

The redheads I use to own had pretty strong yokes, so you probably can tighten them enough to prevent sagging. If not, try a locking washer on the yoke.
Patrick Gault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Just to clarify, Dynaphos DOES have two diffusion screens, one interior and the exterior. Both are removable.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management