The Basics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 5th, 2006, 03:41 AM   #1
Tourist

The Basics

Hey guys sorry to sound like a noob (but i am) I just bought an XL-2 and i will be shooting my first in two months with it and was wondering what kind of lighting step up should i get the sort most takes place at night there are two indoors shots and two outdoor shots also there is one outdoor shot in the daytime. I guess my question is with about a grand is there a certain setup or kit that anyone can recommend (sorry for the vage discription but i am very new to lighting)
Stephen Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 06:48 AM   #2
Major Player

Stephen

i would suggest going a bit more into detail on what it is you want to shoot. Lighting and light modifiers depend on what you want to shoot. This will make it easier for people to make suggestions
Old March 5th, 2006, 08:46 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Stephen

You need to sign up to DV.com but watch the lighting tutorial by John Jackman.. it is quite long but well worth it..
I learned a heap of stuff on how to best light my videos and what type of equipment to buy.... here's the link
http://www.pqhp.com/cmp/dvxe05/

hope the link works...

Regards

Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #4
Regular Crew

As stated previously, some clarification for the scenes you want to shoot would help. For example, you state that you have 2 night exterior shots. Where are these shots? What's going on in the scene. A description somewhere along the lines of "man walks down a street and sits next to a woman at a bus shelter".

In general, renting might be more appropriate. For a grand, you could rent a whole assortment of lights. Whereas that grand won't go too far if you're buying - particularly if you have ambitious plans for your exterior shots. Also, assuming you're shooting a dramatic narrative film - you'll also need grip equipment to control the light (flags, nets, etc).
Chien Huey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management