Homemade kino bank for models video shots - Help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 6th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Homemade kino bank for models video shots - Help!

Hi!
I am helping a friend building 2 kino banks for doing models video (pal dv) shots in a small studio (4mt x 6mt) with a marine-blue background.

It's my first time doing this and we dont have much money to spend, si I need your help because many of you here have build homemade kinos before:

*LAMPS: Based on Argentina the best and smalle I could find where the OSRAM DULUX "L" LUMILUX of which are two versions:

a- Dulux L LUMILUX Standard - 36W, 16", CRI 80+ (1B), 3000-4000-6000K, 2900lm, 2G11 mount
b- Dulux L LUMINUX DE LUXE - 36W, 16", CRI 90+ (1A), 3000-4000-6000K, 1900lm, 2G11 mount

As you can see the difference is +CRI rating but less Lm. per lamp...

I dont need the best CRI levels so 1B would be enough, and I get +lm...

My questions:
1- How much lm would I need in total using 2 banks to light the model at 2-3 meters for 1-CCD DV cameras? With a 4-lamps per bank, thats about 23.000lm (288Watt).

2- Should I build the bank out of 0,5inch thick wood (can do it myself) or metal (must have it done). Any ideas?

3- I think of using non-electronic ballasts since electronic cost 4x more and I dont have the flicker problem and dont care if they take longer to start... Is it ok or you know of electronic ballast that can feed more than one 36W tube each?

4- Any ideas/pictures for a convenient rig/support system to attach to a standard lighting tripod?

5- Colo temp: warmer temp (3000K) brings more lm/W as opossed to 5000K tubes. I am using a 3200K/5800K DV camera and wont use the kino outdoor, so I guess the 3000K choice is better: what do you think?

Thank you for any help!

Luis from Argentina
Luis Reggiardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 07:50 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

This could be a great do-it-yourself project. Suggestions, folks?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management