Lighting on a budget at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 13th, 2006, 02:00 PM   #1
New Boot

Lighting on a budget

Hi all, this is my first post so please go easy on me.....

This might sound a stupid question but here it goes. I have seen in my local builders store sets of 500 watt halogen lamps on stands fully adjustable for lighting outside for building sites (£19.99), and i have also found a shop that sells spair bulbs so i can choose the correct colour temperature accordingly, so theoreticly this would make a cheap indoor light right? maybe im wrong but it seems ok

any views?
Chris Bottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #2
Trustee

What are you going to use them for?
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #3
Wrangler

Worklights are great to brighten up a location, but the light can be difficult to control. For more ideas, check out the Low Budget Lighting Article by Scott Spears.
Old March 15th, 2006, 11:15 AM   #4
Tourist

Part 2?

Hey that was a very interesting article. At the end he wrote "there will be more in part 2" Can you do me a favor and post a link to "part 2"?
Matt Ymbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #5
Wrangler

That link has both parts 1 & 2 in it. You can also check out Scott's online tutorials.
Old March 16th, 2006, 04:24 AM   #6
Trustee

"and i have also found a shop that sells spair bulbs so i can choose the correct colour temperature accordingly,"

Halogen lights are a type of tungsten light. They are all in the neighborhood of 3000K and won't match daylight without some serious blue filtering (full CTB). This cuts down the amount of light by at least half and you are already fighting the sun in a daylight scenario. The amount of light needed in daylight (even through a window) can get you into a situation where you are kicking circuit breakers with tungsten. Renting HMI lights for big shots, or fluorescents for smaller locations is a better solution. You can also build your own daylight-balanced fluorescents that can be fairly bright without overloading circuits.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management