Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 14th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Afordable Chinese HMIs

Has anyone ever used. http://www.lightstar.net.cn/english/pro.htm
Alexandre Lucena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I've not. Web site looks interesting, but there is no indication of distribution outside of China that I could find.

Are there dealers? Costs?
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 07:11 PM   #3
Major Player

Pars

Guys,

Can you talk a little bit about PAR lights and their advantages? I saw a British Crew light up a 60-meter radio dish at Stanford with I think was one 12,000 -watt par. Lit the whole thing. Amazing. From what I know, andhave seen, PARS (hmi/s?)also seemto work very well as a daylight fill. Love a short tutorial if you're in the mood. Thanks

Regards,

Jack Hubbard
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 04:30 AM   #4
Trustee

PAR is for PARabolic Aluminum Reflector and is unrelated to the type of source. This simply means that your light will be coming out in a directed cone. HMI lights are sort of like a relative to the fluorescent (a type of arc light) and put out colors similar to daylight (~5500K). A 12,000W HMI PAR would be like a 40,000W tungsten and be incredibly bright since HMI is much more efficient than tungsten. I'd love to see something like that in action. HMI lights have a big ballast box to change the line voltage to the high arc voltage the light uses. If this big light you saw had a big box cabled to it near it's base, it was probably an HMI. It also probably cost more than a nice new car.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Small lights, big output, daylight balanced.

The usual application is for a mix with daylight. HMIs can have the output needed to compete with daylight. How do you get 3-point lighting in daylight? With HMIs. How do you fill from the camera in daylight? HMI. (or with a dichroic filter on tungsten, but HMI is brighter)

Of course they have other applications too, but that's how I've seen them used.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 10:50 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandre Lucena
Interesting, I've send them an email asking for distributors, prices etc. I'll keep you guys posted!
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #7
Slash Rules!

A note on pars. . .

The ones I've used (and I think this applies to all of them), you have an open faced light into which you slip different lenses. When the light is pure and unfiltered, no lens, that is, it's a very direct, bright, powerful beam with an extremely narrow "arc". You point it right at something, you'll have an insanely bright, very hard, conentrated light, with a very narrow spread. Not good for most applications. So you need some lenses.

I won't like, I've only used, on my own, the 1200w Pars, the silver bullets. The ones I worked with had a spot (fresnel), medium, and bug-eye (wide lens), which do just what they sound like, that is, change the arc/spread of the light. Of course, the wider the beam, the less concentrated it is, and therefore, gives less output to any one area where the light is hitting.

HMIs might also be considered if you're on a low/no budget deal, and trying to get the most of the an available 20A circuit.

Joker kit is pretty sweet. I forgot 'til just a second ago I used those too.

That's my thoughts.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 01:21 PM   #8
Major Player

Insanely bright...

Hi Gents,

Thanks for clearing this up. Very helpful information.

Marcus: The PAR light at the Stanford Dish had a huge ballast box, and Josh, it was insanely bright. I mean one light on a 60-meter dish. Looked like a Shuttle launch. Definitely in the new car price range, I'd Say...
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 02:20 PM   #9
Slash Rules!

Well, the 1200s are probably the largest (wattage-wise) you could safely use on a regular household circuit (although I've heard of people using 2500s off of bathroom or kitchen circuits, 'cause aren't those usually rated for 30A?). They're powerful, but they're not as powerful as you'd think. They're not magic. Once you start putting lenses in, they lose a lot of punch. In bright bright daylight, they'll do a little bit, but if you really want to make a difference you need a much more powerful light.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 02:20 PM   #10
Regular Crew

automobile xenon

Has anyone ever used an automobile xenon beam as an alternative
for a day light source.
Alexandre Lucena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 04:07 PM   #11
Major Player

Not sure how we got from chinese lanterns to PARs, but...

PARs are self-contained units much like the "sealed-beam" automotive headlamps. They have the relector, light source, and lens all in one unit. There are tungsten PAR lamps which are very cheap and HMI PAR lamps which are expensive (just like all other HMI sources). The HMI PAR lamps are often used in smaller HMI units (up to 1200w) and they usually have clear lenses and a collection of other lenses that you can use in front of the PAR lamp. Tungsten PAR lamps are what are in the PAR Can fixtures (very common at concerts) often called rock-n-roll lights. PAR Cans, BTW, are usually really cheap, but don't have any ability to focus or control the light. The tungsten PARs have a fixed lens and you typically change the whole lamp to get a different lens pattern. There are several different sizes (diameters) of tungsten PARs, with the largest being about 8" and a 1Kw lamp. Mole, and several other manufacturers, make arrays of tungsten PARs. The Maxi-Brute is 9 1kw PAR lamps in an array. The largest of these that I've seen is 24 1kw PAR lamps in an array. They are insanely heavy, take huge amounts of juice, and make a ton of light.

The big HMIs are a different beast all together :-) They are very efficent (and very expensive). I was told that the 18,000 watt HMI unit that we were using used a globe that cost $7000 US to replace. But if you want something that looks like sunlight over a broad area, there's no substitute.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Keyser
PARs are self-contained units much like the "sealed-beam" automotive headlamps. They have the relector, light source, and lens all in one unit.
Actually you're describing the "old style" PAR lamp. Marcus is correct in stating that PAR is simply an acronym for the REFLECTOR and doesn't really tell you anything else about the lamp. In recent years ETC has developed a line of PAR's which consist of independent dichroic glass reflectors which help dissipate the heat from the rear of the unit instead of the front. They use separate halogen lamps and, as John describes, come with a "kit" of varying lenses to control the beam spread.

They are more expensive than the sealed beam old-style PAR's you describe, but the versatility of converting between different beam patterns using a single instrument offsets the cost of inventorying a variety of different sealed PAR lamps.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 06:12 PM   #13
Trustee

Ralph! Read the beginning of the post and the title! :) Come to think of it, an HMI chinese lantern would be rather nice...

I really wish 1.2Kw HMI lights werent $7000. A light that bright, matched to daylight, that can run on a standard wall outlet would be so convenient.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 03:01 AM   #14
Major Player

So, got some reply's on my questions, here they are:

For the European market:

Quote:
We would like to inform you that we are a Sino-Germany Joint Venture in China; the Germany party
is BAVARIA lighting, in charge of Euro Market; and our side in charge of producing and Asia market;
so if you are intersted in our production please kindly contact our Germany party as follow details:

BAVARIA Lighting GmbH & Co.KG
Linderhofstr. 14
D-83064 Raubling
Fon +49 8035 96 89 46
Fax +49 8035 96 89 39
eMail info@bavaria-lighting.com
http www.bavaria-lighting.com
For the USA:

Quote:
We would like to sell to US market in near future, but the approval for our production
in US market is a big problem for us. So if any person in US want to use our products
not care the UL approval ; they can buy the items directly from us.
We can give them the special price by the ordered quantity.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 07:54 AM   #15
Capt. Quirk

And the German site is DOWN! Go figure...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management