What type of connector should I get? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 24th, 2003, 09:21 AM   #1
Inner Circle

What type of connector should I get?

I’m planning to purchase a Frezzi dimmable mini-fill, and I was hoping people could give me suggestions on what type of connector to choose.
I plan to mount it on top of a GL-1 and haven’t purchased the battery yet. I thought I would choose the connector on the light first and then choose a battery to go with it.
What’s the most common type of connector? What are the pros and cons of each type? Does it make sense to use an adapter capable of plugging into a camcorder’s onboard power in case the time ever comes when I can afford equipment that good? I understand this light is very rugged, so I’m likely to have it for years and want to plan for the future. I’m pretty sure I don’t want that cigarette lighter thingy. Talk about clunky!
On the same note, since the light is going to occupy the hotshoe, what are some recommended products that will give me another shoe to mount a microphone? I’m using a Senneheiser on-camera shock mount. Also, Bescor seems to have the most inexpensive batteries. Anybody like ‘em?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2003, 07:51 PM   #2
Wrangler

Ignoring the on-camera power supply option since the hand-held camcorders don't have them, I'd go for the XLR connection since the connector is locked to the battery. Cigarette lighter connections seem to self-unplug.

There are a lot of hotshoe expansion goodies out there. Just be careful because they can literally rip the hotshoe off the camera if you hit something.

I prefer the L-bracket that screws into the tripod socket on the bottom of the camera. If you need to quickly swap between hand-held and tripod mounting, then a quick release setup can be added. And added advanage of the L-bracket is it makes the camera easier to hold steady.
Old January 27th, 2003, 10:52 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Is that five pin or four pin on the XLR connector? I believe they make both. Also, could you name some brand names of products that offer a separate hot shoe? I believe there is one product out there that doubles as an extra handle, but I can't seem to remember the name of it.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2003, 07:35 PM   #4
Wrangler

Normal XLR pin count for power is 4 pins. However that certainly is not bcked up by any standard.

L-brackets are easy to find in the local photgraphy shop. They will run from $15 on up. Try and find one with a wide bottom arm that has an anti-slip coating where it bears against the camera bottom.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management