Mounting DIY lights on light stands at

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 25th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #1
Chris Kenny
Mounting DIY lights on light stands

I think I've managed to find most of what I'd need to put together some low-cost fluorescent light banks, but the one thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to conveniently mount them on light stands. Ideally I'd like something like a screw pate attached to a bendable joint (with some tension, so it stays where it's put), with a standard 5/8" receptacle on the other end.

Does anyone sell such a thing? Alternatively, what other solutions are people using to mount DIY lights on stands?
Old March 25th, 2006, 10:57 AM   #2
Major Player
Do a search on B&H on 'light stand adapter'. You find them for sub $10. Can you give us some more info about the lights you made? I'm very interested!
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #3
Major Player
If you go to home depot or similar kind of place, look for three things:

-Circular panel cover for outdoor security light. You know those motion lights with two lamps plus motion sensor? You want to find just the plate that has three 1/2" threaded holes and four screw holes.

-Copper pipe 1/2" gauge sleeve-to-thread adapter.

-Copper pipe 1/2" gauge, 8'' long end pipe. This will have an open and and a "bullet tipped" end.

Solder the end pipe to the thread adapter. Thread the pipe into the plate. The copper pipe is the same gauge as a C-stand extension arm and thus can be mounted onto a gobo head. The pipe can be detached for unobstructed storage.

This may seem like a mouthful, but it is very simple. I've done this for many of my own custom flo lights and it works very well. It's much more simple than trying to fabricate a yoke or some kind of articulated pin adapter.
Matt Irwin
DP /
Matt Irwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #4
Chimera Lighting
I don't know what you got but

I would look at
under avenger grip

Matthews is good to

American as well

look on line.. catalogs can be better

peace our

Strength and Honor
Richard Veil is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management