Mounting DIY lights on light stands at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 25th, 2006, 11:28 AM   #1
Chris Kenny

Mounting DIY lights on light stands

I think I've managed to find most of what I'd need to put together some low-cost fluorescent light banks, but the one thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to conveniently mount them on light stands. Ideally I'd like something like a screw pate attached to a bendable joint (with some tension, so it stays where it's put), with a standard 5/8" receptacle on the other end.

Does anyone sell such a thing? Alternatively, what other solutions are people using to mount DIY lights on stands?
Old March 25th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #2
Major Player

Do a search on B&H on 'light stand adapter'. You find them for sub $10. Can you give us some more info about the lights you made? I'm very interested!
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 01:59 PM   #3
Major Player

If you go to home depot or similar kind of place, look for three things:

-Circular panel cover for outdoor security light. You know those motion lights with two lamps plus motion sensor? You want to find just the plate that has three 1/2" threaded holes and four screw holes.

-Copper pipe 1/2" gauge sleeve-to-thread adapter.

-Copper pipe 1/2" gauge, 8'' long end pipe. This will have an open and and a "bullet tipped" end.

Solder the end pipe to the thread adapter. Thread the pipe into the plate. The copper pipe is the same gauge as a C-stand extension arm and thus can be mounted onto a gobo head. The pipe can be detached for unobstructed storage.

This may seem like a mouthful, but it is very simple. I've done this for many of my own custom flo lights and it works very well. It's much more simple than trying to fabricate a yoke or some kind of articulated pin adapter.
Old March 26th, 2006, 12:12 AM   #4
Chimera Lighting

I don't know what you got but

I would look at www.bogenphoto.com
under avenger grip

Matthews is good to

American as well

look on line.. catalogs can be better

peace our

rv

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management