DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 15th, 2006, 09:14 AM   #1
New Boot

Lighting a Conference - sungun?

Hi...I know on-camera lighting has been discussed a bunch of times for weddings, but hopefully this is a little different: I have a GL2 I'm using for conference coming up; I basically have to catch all the attendees doing cute and funny things and assemble a 'candids' video from all the footage. The lighting will range from outdoor to indoor to flourescents to low light; I've been advised to get a sungun, but I can't seem to find one to purchase...I googled it and went to b&h and came up with nothing. What other kind of on-camera lighting would you recommend?

And also, with the frezzis, pardon my ingnorance, but with their outputs listed (4 XLR, 5 XLR, car charger), how do you plug them into your camera?

ANY guidance is appreciated. Thanks...
Erin Hillert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 02:53 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Sunguns are a general term (a bit old school too) used to describe tungsten lights powered by batteries. The 4-pin XLR refers to the power connector. If you're familiar with film cameras or even larger video cameras like the SDX900, they're the power connector of choice. That said, the GL-2 doesn't have these connectors. Nor would you want to power a sungun off the GL2 power as they would suck all the power out in no time.

Normally, sunguns are powered by battery belts or block batteries (http://www.cine60newyork.com/product.html). In all likelihood, an on-camera light that's suitable for weddings would probably suffice for your needs. You probably want to soften the light with some diffusion to minimize any hotspots on your subjects. I'm not too familiar with on-camera lights but if you do a search on this forum, you'll probably find lots of information.
Chien Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 04:30 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I shoot that type of thing pretty often and find that when using my JVC5000 my Anton Bauer 20W on camera light with a softbox works just fine. I've done breaking news with it (without the softbox on) and it works great for that also. When I use my PD150 I use a Bescor light with a belt or juice box battery and use a 50W bulb with a softbox that knocks it down to about 25 watts. Either way you're not trying to light a big area so the smaller lights work fine. It's about the same as shooting a first dance for a wedding. Just remember that lights like those I mentioned and other small lights really only have an effective range of about 10 feet on a stretch and you're using it for more of a fill light than trying to light up the area.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I've heard nothing but good things about this instrument:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Again, it uses a power tap (i.e. draws power from your camera's battery) but it's a fairly low wattage unit so it shouldn't be so bad. This package also includes a dichroic daylight (5600k) filter, which will allow you to match your light source to sunlight coming in from a window.

This is another great one, with REEAALLY low power draw:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Hope this helps

Henry
Old April 24th, 2006, 05:10 PM   #5
New Boot

thanks so much for your help...i'll look into these suggestions.
Erin Hillert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management